## Registration Abuse Policies TRANSCRIPTION

Friday 30 January 2009 15:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Registration Abuse Policies meeting on Friday 30 January 2009, at 15:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rap-20090130.mp3 http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jan

Present for the teleconference: Greg Aaron - Registry C. James Bladel - Godaddy RRc Kristina Rosette - IPC

Absent apologies:
Zahid Jamil - (joined the conference when it was already over)
Olga Cavalli - NCA
Mike Rodenbaugh - CBUC
Liz Gasster - Staff

Staff:
Marika Konings
Margie Milam
Glen de Saint Gery - GNSO Secretariat

Marika Konings: Welcome everyone to this call and Glen can I maybe ask you to do the role call.

Glen de Saint Gery: Yes Marika. We have Greg Aaron, James Bladel, Kristina Rosette from the working group and for staff we have Margie Milam, Marika Konings and myself.

Zahid Jamil is I think on another call and may join us later. Thank you.

Marika Konings: Thank you very much and we all have apologies from Liz Gasster who won't be able to join us today.

So I would propose that maybe we work off the latest version of the charter and the outline for the workshop that was sent around I think yesterday by Mike Rodenbaugh in which he made a few small edits to

the version that was sent out earlier this week.

So I don't know if everyone has that draft in front of them. Is there anyone who didn't receive that email? I guess that means everyone has it. So the main question is are there still any further issues, edits that need to be changed or is everyone happy with the charter as it currently is?

Kristina Rosette: This is Kristina, I'm happy with it, I just have a minor, minor tweak. I think on the second - well at least you know my version is the second page under additional research in identifying concrete policy issues.

I don't have an objection to the text of that fourth point, the drafting group recommends, blah, blah, blah. But I think we should separate it out from the proceeding three points because those three are taken directly from the issues report.

And I don't - for me at least when I originally read it I was unclear as to whether that fourth point was something that was also in the issues report or not.

Marika Konings: Okay, is it okay if identify the first three as maybe making a heading like from the issues report and then having the fourth one as a separate bullet?

Kristina Rosette: That's fine.

Marika Konings: Or add a (unin).

Kristina Rosette: Yeah, just so that it's clear when somebody reads this who isn't as immersed in it as all of us have been that the fourth point is something that's a recommendation of the drafting group as opposed to something that was in the issues report.

Doesn't matter to me how it was done.

Greg Aaron: Yeah, you could just take the fourth bullet and then just make it a new.

Kristina Rosette: A new paragraph, exactly.

Greg Aaron: So, and the other three are in quotation marks so they're quoted, so - make sense?

Marika Konings: Okay, well what I can do to clarify is maybe like at the end of the three put in between brackets just to say you know these are taken from the issues report.

Kristina Rosette: Or I actually like the idea of a separate paragraph, when just lead it with you know in addition the drafting group recommends that blah, blah, blah.

Marika Konings: Okay.

Kristina Rosette: That's the easier way to do it I think. But either way I'm good with this.

Marika Konings: Okay, I'll make that change. Are there any other?

Page 4

Greg Aaron:

This is Greg, that change makes sense and I don't have any additional

questions.

Marika Konings: James? Do you have any?

James Bladel:

I think it looks great and I agree with Kristina's suggested edit.

Marika Konings: Okay. Well what I'll propose to do then is to make these changes and incorporate as well the small edit that Mike made and send that around for a final review, especially by those that you know weren't able to join the call today and give everyone I think you know as there's no council meeting upcoming very quickly I think we'll give everyone a week you know to have a last look at this.

> And then I think we are ready to submit it to the council for the next meeting. So as we have some time left maybe now is a good moment as well to talk a little bit about the workshop and my question would be if there are any further ideas you have for the workshop and more particularly with possible speakers, because things fall from a staff perspective.

> The next step will be to start identifying speakers, approaching people, you know getting a time slot and really putting this together so we have you know everything ready in time for the Mexico meeting.

One of the other things that the group should think about is what day we would like to have the workshop. One thing that the staff has been discussing is whether it would be a good idea to do the workshop on

the Thursday because for now it looks like the e-crimes workshop will take place on Wednesday.

So it might be a good lead in and as well a way of you know announcing it there to people that you know the day after we're going to focus the discussion a bit more on specifically registration abuse.

So a few questions I have for you, would Thursday be a good timing? Are all of you - will you be able to attend? And secondly do you have any suggested speakers for the different topics that we've included here?

Greg Aaron:

Do you know in general how close the staff might be to releasing the overall schedule for the Mexico City week?

Marika Konings: Glen, do you know when that will become...

Glen de Saint Gery: It is supposed to be out - it was actually supposed to be out yesterday, but I just let me check on the website. I didn't see it and I looked yesterday. Yep, it's not. So it should be out over the weekend or later on today during the day (CDT) time.

As far as Thursday is concerned I've got a draft schedule in front of me. And I see there is a public forum that starts at 10 am and goes on till 1 pm. And then in afternoon I know that GNSO has asked for 2 1/2 hours for the wrap up session, that is the council.

And usually anybody can join that session. Then there is at 17:00 hours to 18:30 the board review. So...

Marika Konings: Is there anything in the morning like breakfast time? Because that's...

Glen de Saint Gery: That's exactly, that's what I'm looking at now, what is there from 8 to 9:30 is the at large summit closing. So perhaps we could suggest to them what about 8:30 to about 9:10.

There's a break between 9:30 and 10:00 but I suppose nobody would complain if we work through that break at 9:30 in the morning.

Marika Konings: Yeah. What do those on the call think about that?

Kristina Rosette: This is Kristina, I think that's a good idea. I know that even the feelings that many have about the lack of a lengthy public forum session in Cairo, I for one just want to make absolutely sure that we're not going to cross over into that.

Marika Konings: No, no. That's definitely not the - you know I think we've - we all agree that it's a very important session and many people want to participate in that.

So I think the idea would be to maybe really try to start at 8 and then does the public forum start at 10 or 10:30?

Glen de Saint Gery: I say - well the public forum is down here on this draft agenda for 10:10.

Marika Konings: Okay. So I think we should maybe aim for 8 to 9:30?

Glen de Saint Gery: I think that would probably be good, 8 to 9:30 if you think 1 1/2 hours is enough.

Marika Konings: I think we should be able to get quite far hopefully. It depends of course maybe how many speakers we identify for each issue.

But I think if we make everyone aware of the time that is available, you know it should be possible I think.

Greg Aaron: Yeah, it would be good to have it wrapped up Thursday morning if possible because participants start to leave on Thursday if they've been there since the Saturday before.

James Bladel: Right.

Glen de Saint Gery: The only conflict that I can think of or that I can hear already in my ear comes from the at large (unin) but that's the closing of our summit and the at large people want to be there.

And well I don't know, what are your thoughts on that?

Kristina Rosette: Is there any time on Wednesday? I know the council meeting is in the morning, so we (unin).

Glen de Saint Gery: The council meeting is in the morning, that takes up the better part of the morning, of course we're going start at 8 o'clock and we're going - we are booked to go on to 12:30. Then there is a 12:30 to 2 pm lunch break.

And then I see that the e-crime is going to start at 14:30 and go through until probably 17:30 or 18:30. And I wouldn't like to push anything into the bottom part of that because there is the gala evening.

Page 8

Kristina Rosette: Right, right. No.

Glen de Saint Gery: And we've got to leave the hotel, well I expect people want to get a

little bit ready and leave the hotel at 19:00 hours. So I think it's - you

know it's pushing things.

Because if the e-crime works up over time, then I mean....

Woman:

Oh do we have to pick up Mark?

Marika Konings: I think someone needs to mute their phone. So maybe let's indeed

keep it in tentatively for the 8 to 9:30 slot and maybe we can consult

with at large and especially with Beau Brendler who has been involved

to see whether he really needs to be at that closing session or whether

you know he can - he could participate in this meeting and maybe take

it from there.

Kristina Rosette: Well I mean we don't really have any alternative, do we?

Glen de Saint Gery: Well the other thing that the end of the day on Tuesday that I

already tried to put something there, and I immediately was told it's the

end of the constituency day.

And sometimes those meetings do go over and sometimes

constituencies do want a bit of extra time.

Marika Konings: Yeah and probably from a practical perspective as well, I guess the e-

crimes workshop will really have the debate more at a higher level,

**ICANN** Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery 01-30-2009/9:00 am CT

Confirmation #7943558

Page 9

although I guess the other question will already come up as well, like

what is ICANN's role in this whole discussion?

And then you know it's a ways off, tomorrow we're actually going to

you know focus on this you know specific area that you know the

registration abuse part, you know which we hope to do some policy

work around.

And that's really you know trying to define indeed what falls within

ICANN scope and what doesn't. And then in one way a nice

introduction I guess there the e-crimes workshop and that would make

Thursday as well a very good slot you know in that combination.

Glen de Saint Gery: And other than that it's honestly the only time that I see unless you

want to start at 7 o'clock on Monday morning.

Marika Konings: Any volunteers for that?

Kristina Rosette: No.

Glen de Saint Gery: Okay, well...

Marika Konings: So let's keep it for now at that time and I'll liaise with Beau and with

(Nick) from at large to see you know what they actually - the program

is for that closing session and you know if it's going to be a big conflict

or that's more a ceremonial part where you know some people will be

able to participate as well in the workshop.

You know making them understand as well that they're very little time

available to otherwise put together this workshop.

So the next question is speakers. So we already identified you know broadly from which category...

Glen de Saint Gery: Sorry Marika, just to finish that off, do we need a big room? We need something like the boardroom size, or do we need a smaller room? Something for 60 people?

Marika Konings: I think that should be sufficient, what do you think?

Kristina Rosette: I would opt - I would rather have more room than we need than have to turn people away because there's no room.

Glen de Saint Gery: Okay. Thanks for that, sorry Marika for the interruption.

Marika Konings: No, no, no, and I think as well like we can indeed do some promotion of course at the e-crimes workshop which will probably have a good turnout.

So there indeed it's better to have too much space than too little I guess. Because where is the at large closing ceremony, is that - are they renting a big room, or?

Glen de Saint Gery: No, that's at another hotel.

Marika Konings: Okay, okay, some other hotel, so there's no conflicts in that sense.

Okay so then going back to speakers, we've already identified like broad categories who we'd like to see there.

Page 11

So on the registration abuse definition we already identified that probably someone from legal counsel which I guess most likely would

be (Dan) could be considered there and then we indicated as well

representatives from the drafting team.

I don't know if we already have any volunteers there or if that's

something we should circulate to the list and see if - who would be

willing to speak on behalf of the drafting team.

Greg Aaron:

This is Greg, I'd be happy to help.

Marika Konings: Okay.

James Bladel:

It's James, I'd volunteer to help any way I could.

Marika Konings: Okay, because it makes maybe here sense and maybe for the drafting team to work together on either statement or some slides, so indeed one person can then you know present the views of the drafting team and outline I guess a bit as well about the objective of this workshop and you know the debate we've been having as well amongst ourselves here on the whole you know the definition issue and where do we need more research?

> What data is actually available and try to frame it a bit, so are you happy as well with someone from legal counsel to be part of that session as well to provide a bit of the ICANN view on this?

Greg Aaron:

Yeah, absolutely helpful.

Page 12

Marika Konings: I can approach (Dan) to see if he's available for potentially on

Thursday morning. So then the best practices current experiences,

there we identified as well registry/registrar representatives.

It would be IPC and third parties and do you have any specific

suggestions there or would that be as well, I don't know, James, Greg,

do you feel comfortable as well there talking about the experiences you

have in this area?

Greg Aaron:

Yeah, I certainly can.

James Bladel:

That would be fine.

Marika Konings: Kristina, would you?

Kristina Rosette: Yeah, I mean we can go about this a couple ways. I mean what I could

do is get you know kind of a certain basically campus IPC membership

and get information from their member.

The other thing that we could do which I mentioned before and again I

could kind of leave it to the group is Covington runs a very large

internet monitoring and enforcement program out of its London office

and we've got like eight full time investigators who basically do nothing

but this.

And I've talked with them about their experiences in terms of you know

can you make a distinction between registration abuse and use abuse

and how do you do it and you know what is your mechanism?

**ICANN** Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery

> 01-30-2009/9:00 am CT Confirmation #7943558

> > Page 13

And currently, and I'd be happy to share that to the extent that I'm not

going to get into anything that's proprietary, you know the bottom line

is that yes, in their view you can make a distinction between

registration abuse and use abuse.

And that for the most part they tend to work kind of through back

channels, in other words with the ISPs, but that - it is that is becoming

increasingly ineffective and inefficient.

And you know their view is that having something that would apply

across the board would be fantastic. But you know again I can get into

as much detail or as little as possible.

I knew that (Neujon) was just accredited as an ALS, isn't that right

Glen? Weren't they just accepted?

Glen de Saint Gery: You know I think they have, yes.

Kristina Rosette: All right. You know I certain think it might make sense to kind of reach

out to them or APWG or Cyveillance or whomever you know with kind

of the caveat that I don't think it makes sense for whoever's speaking

in that or participating in that component of it to essentially be

repeating what they said the day before.

Because I don't think that really benefits anyone.

James Bladel: You mean in the e-crimes?

Kristina Rosette: Yeah.

James Bladel: Yeah, well e-crimes for the most part I think is going to be about

domain name use.

Kristina Rosette: Okay, all right.

James Bladel: That's....

Margie: Hey Kristina this is Margie. I had a question for you. Is there someone

that - because you probably from PC would have a speaker that is on the - that sends out notices and deals with us on maybe ISPs, maybe

in the DMCA area or something like that.

Because yeah, we are going to have a bit about phishing in the e-

crimes session and it would be nice to have kind of a different spin in

this session about you know the kinds of problems that you could deal

with, so registration abuse beyond you know phishing and typical e-

crime.

Kristina Rosette: Yeah., absolutely.

James Bladel: By the way you said (Neujon) is an ALS?

Kristina Rosette: An at large structure.

James Bladel: Oh, okay, they're an at large?

Kristina Rosette: Yeah\ they just - I think they were just accepted within the past couple

weeks.

James Bladel: Okay.

**ICANN** Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery

01-30-2009/9:00 am CT Confirmation #7943558

Page 15

Marika Konings: Okay because I think that indeed they are planning to participate. So

what I can do is beginning of next week try to you know maybe write

out for each of the speakers or the profile we'll have for each of the

speakers, what they should address.

And then maybe it will be easier as well to add some names to that,

you know apart from the ones we've already discussed today. Because

I think especially for the third one, the role forward for ICANN, not sure

if you have any ideas, perhaps your constituency represents this.

So we could ask each of the constituencies to nominate someone to sit

on a panel and debate this with you know the rest of the participants

that will attend the workshop.

Or do you have any other suggestions or who should be sitting on that

panel to you know lead this debate?

James Bladel:

Starting to sound like a crowded (diet) here. I'm wondering if we can

take advantage of the fact that most people that we've talked about

may overlap and participate in various groups.

And I don't mean to pick on Greg but he could represent both registry

best practices and APWG for example.

Marika Konings: Greg, are you happy with that?

Greg Aaron:

Well I am on the steering committee of the APWG. Although there

might also be - there's probably going to be some other APWG

representatives at the meeting.

Page 16

I don't want to try to wear too many hats.

James Bladel:

Right.

Kristina Rosette: Well maybe actually that's a really good point, I mean but maybe the idea would be is if we're comfortable with who we've got lined up, maybe the thing to do is that would be the last part of it is that each person identifies their views on that.

I mean I don't know that we necessarily need to have a whole new set of people if we feel that the previous two categories are sufficiently representative.

Marika Konings: Yeah. I think the only thing we might need to take into consideration that some constituencies you know are not represented in the previous two groups.

I don't know, maybe you know because of course we need to circulate to the mailing list and not everyone.

Not all the constituencies have been able to participate in this call so we just need to make sure that like for example ISP to have them participating to make sure as well that we send them an invitation to send someone to this panel and the same for NCUC for example.

So but I think it makes absolute sense to use the same people who have been speaking in the first two sessions for this last one and I hope as well that this will be a very interactive discussion with those

there and hopefully as well a very good kickoff to get people actually involved in the working group which will follow from this.

And is there anything else that you would like to discuss today?

Kristina Rosette: There is actually one thing and that is I agreed during the council call, I should probably say that it was kind of a request I couldn't refuse. I agreed on behalf of the drafting team that the other thing that we would put forward in addition to the proposed charter is the actual motion for the council to vote on.

And I don't think it needs to be terribly elaborate and I guess my question to staff would be are there other drafting teams that have had to put forth motions and if so could you circulate that so that we at least have kind of a framework to start with?

Margie:

I presume there are but I would probably need to turn to Glen to because my history with ICANN is not that long yet so Glen do you have any idea which motions might serve as a good example?

Kristina Rosette: I mean Fast Flux is the only thing that comes to mind because I know for domain tasting we didn't really get to a working group, we kind of went from the drafting team to the motion.

Margie:

Well I can get back and I can check with Glen and Liz to see you know which motions could serve that purpose and we would be happy as well to you know provide a draft for consideration if that helps the group.

Kristina Rosette: For me that would be extraordinarily helpful.

**ICANN** Moderator: Glen de Saint Gery 01-30-2009/9:00 am CT

> Confirmation #7943558 Page 18

Glen de Saint Gery: Absolutely Kristina, I think it's a good idea, it's Glen, sorry.

Kristina Rosette: All right, thank you.

Marika Konings: Well look into that no problem. So my proposal is that I update the charter, I'll try to provide some further detail on the outline for the workshop, try to identify what we hope speakers would address and as well you know with some of the names that we discussed today and give those that weren't able to participate today an opportunity to comment and provide input.

> And then I think we need to see whether we actually need to have a call next week or we give people some time to think about it and as well I think give staff some time as well to put everything together for

the workshop.

So maybe we keep it open for now and decide later and next week whether we actually need a call or whether it can wait another week.

Will that work for everyone?

James Bladel: Yeah, that makes sense I think.

Marika Konings: Okay, well thank you everyone very much for your time and have a

good day.

James Bladel:

Thank you.

Kristina Rosette: Thanks, you too, bye bye.

Marika Konings: Bye.

Glen de Saint Gery: Bye, thanks Marika, bye.

END