JIG WG- TRANSCRIPTION Tuesday 04th September 2012 at 12:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Attendees: Edmon Chung, RySG, Co-Chair Jonathan Shea Jian Zhang, APTLD, Co-Chair Daniel Kalchev Avri Doria, NCSG (Observer)

ICANN Staff: Nathalie Peregrine

Apologies: Mirjana Tasic Young Eum Lee Chris Dillon Fahd Batayneh, .jo Bart Boswinkel

Coordinator: You may begin.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you very much Tonya. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the JIG call on the 4th of September, 2012.

On the call today we have Daniel Kalchev, Jian Zhang, Edmon Chung, Jonathan Shea and Avri Doria. We have apologies from Fahd Batayneh, Young-Eum Lee, Mirjana Tasic, Chris Dillon and Bart Boswinkel. From staff we have myself, Nathalie Peregrine.

es before

I would like to remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you,

Edmon Chung:

Edmon.

Thank you, Nathalie and thank you, everyone, for joining. So I'll jump right into it. I sent around a brief agenda with quite a number of items. I don't know how much we will be able to get through today. But I guess I'll start off with a quick update on the VIP work which, I guess, have started again.

And wanted to touch on the charter adjustment that we talked about last couple of times. And we'll spend the rest of the time on the universal acceptance item and of course which will lead into our working session in Toronto. Any items that people want to bring up before we get started?

If not I'll start with a quick update from the VIP discussions. There are two particular projects that are ongoing. One is - and both of which are related to the IDN variant TLD issue that this group is interested in.

The two groups that are ongoing, one of which is the - what is being called the label generation rules for the root. A meeting - a face to face meeting - well actually a conference call with (Harold) and then a face to face meeting in LA at the ICANN offices were held a week or so ago.

The main discussions there currently is about the - I guess the framework for creating label generation rule sets so when - how a variant label - a variant TLD could be generated from a applied-for TLD and what parameters should be in place for different IDN language policies essentially.

I think there are going to be - the current discussion is to have a couple of panels to evaluate or - well, let me just say - the language and its variants and then a secondary panel to check if there are any additional security stability issues.

Page 3

I think there is going to be - there is very likely going to be some policy implications to what is being developed. It is still a little early for us to weigh in I think. But at (unintelligible)...

Nathalie Peregrine: Edmon, this is Nathalie. You're breaking up quite badly right now. It was quite hard to hear the last part of what you were saying.

Edmon Chung: Okay. If that's the case I'll try to call right back in and see if it's better.

Nathalie Peregrine: All right, perfect. Thank you.

Avri Doria: I thought it was just me.

Nathalie Peregrine: You thought it was personal.

Avri Doria: Glad you said something.

Jian Zhang: Hello, this is Jian. Anybody could hear me?

Avri Doria: Yeah.

Nathalie Peregrine: Yes. Yes, so Edmon had to disconnect as his line was fairly bad. He's

dialing in...

((Crosstalk))

Nathalie Peregrine: ...we'll carry on then.

Jian Zhang: Okay so it's not only me right? So...

((Crosstalk))

Nathalie Peregrine: No.

Jian Zhang: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Jian Zhang: ...what he said.

Avri Doria: Nathalie?

Nathalie Peregrine: Yes.

Avri Doria: This is Avri. I'll be dropping off at the half hour; I have a doctor's appointment

to go to so I figured I'd let you know.

Nathalie Peregrine: All right, perfect. I'll note that, thank you.

Avri Doria: Already told Edmon on chat but...

Nathalie Peregrine: Okay perfect. Thank you.

Edmon Chung: Hello?

Nathalie Peregrine: Hello, Edmon.

Edmon Chung: Hello? Okay so is this better?

Nathalie Peregrine: That seems much better, yes, for now.

Edmon Chung: Okay so I'll pick up - I guess I'll just focus on one of the main items. I think

there are a number of items from the VIP discussion that is likely going to have some policy implications including the creation of - the (unintelligible) creation of different panels that will set the policies for the root zone on IDN -

Page 5

and what IDN characters are allowed and also what variant policies are

allowed.

So I think at this point for the JIG, which we are more focused on I guess policy aspects for GNSO and ccNSO, especially ones that are of common interest at this point we'll probably - there's not much need to weigh in. But we should keep our eyes out for especially on some of the items that would

have some policy impact.

So that's the update. I wonder if there are any questions or comments?

If not I'll move on. On the - the second item is the charter adjustment. We brought this up last time and also right after our meeting in Prague. Mainly the suggestion is to turn - because right now this group has a couple of things. One was the - it had a specific closure intended. While I think to - and

the other one is that it would produce reports on particular issues specifically.

I think the main change that Jian and I talked about to move this group towards - is to first of all to sort of make it a ongoing group. And because we do see that at least two of the items - in fact all three of the items will be more

long-term projects at ICANN.

And I think it seems that this group is - that the function of this group can probably be better established to sort of assist staff in - through the implementation process for all three issues that we have identified. And that

will take another - probably, you know, two years or so.

So - or more. So I'd like to probably go back to the two councils to suggest that - that sort of the intent of the working group to be sort of changed a little

bit in that sense.

When we talked about it I said I would go back and review the original charter again and see what adjustments need to be made. Since then I have done

that. And I guess what - based on the charter that we currently have it seems like the working mode of the group really is - it is okay to continue.

I mean, the work - the purpose and the working - and the structure probably does not have to change. What we would ask for for the two councils to consider is to take - is to take out actually the closure clause or, you know, probably not necessarily to re-charter the group but - because there is a window for the two councils when they agree to let the group continue.

So I think probably the approach would be to go back to the two councils to say the work we are working on is probably going to be a little more long-term than what was originally envisioned. And to move it towards the direction where we would complete the three items at least - unless other issues of common interest arise and we identify later but at least complete the implementation before we close the group. That's one area.

The area is that we - in the last couple of years we've been working sort of on a biweekly call basis. Since last time we've tried to move to a monthly call. That also would be one of the changes proposed. And I think - and to meet face to face during ICANN meetings. That would reduce the amount of work required.

And also instead of proactively producing the reports we'll - will ask, as mentioned, ask - because we started the initial report for the universal acceptance part. We'll complete it. But after that we will - we'll be a little bit more reactive and watch the work from the (SAS) teams to respond to or bring the attention to the two councils. So that was essentially the discussion.

And also after looking at the existing charter that's sort of the recommendation. So the recommendation is fairly simple to - would be to go back to the two councils, explain the current situation of the implementation for all the three items and explain that the interest for the group to continue to provide guidance to the staff implementation team and also to look out for the

Page 7

implementation process and instead of having a closed date in mind. So -

and to, you know, change a little bit the work pace of the group.

So with that is there any thoughts, ideas? Disagree? Hearing none I guess,

Jian, I wonder if you're comfortable with that approach? Hello?

Jian Zhang:

Hello.

Edmon Chung:

Yeah, Jian.

Jian Zhang:

Hello.

Edmon Chung:

We can hear you.

Jian Zhang:

Yeah, sorry, I was on mute. Yeah, that's the conversation we had before. And

also I think that should be the approach for, you know, for our next step.

Edmon Chung:

Okay. So basically I looked at the charter again and I don't think there needs to be change. We'll go back to the two councils and ask for the continuation based on following through with the three items rather than pointing towards

specific reports to be created.

So hearing no further discussion on this I'll summarize what I just said back to

the list. And I guess Jian and I will start to work on getting this message back

to the respective councils.

Jonathan Shea:

Edmon, Jonathan here.

Edmon Chung:

Yeah.

Jonathan Shea:

Just a quick question. So who will liaise with the two councils on this matter?

Page 8

Edmon Chung:

Well I guess Jian and I would be doing that as I guess co-chairs. I'll mainly, for myself, mainly for the GNSO Council side and Jian on the ccNSO Council side. I do understand - well, in fact both of us are no longer on the respective councils. But I guess that doesn't stop us from liaising back to the Council.

Jonathan Shea: Okay, yeah, thank you.

Edmon Chung:

Not at all. Thank you for the question. Okay so moving onto the third item. Bart sent along a - an information document - an information flyer on the that was prepared by staff on the universal acceptance TLDs issue.

I - unfortunately Bart couldn't join us today. I was hoping to get a little bit more context on what this is for. I guess it is for the (unintelligible) meeting in Toronto.

And I see that Bart has responded to it. I was - I took a look at it and I thought it was fairly generic. It's a pretty good summary of some of the things. I kind of feel that it seems to be targeting an audience that is already - that already understands the issue. It seems to be - in a way seems to be targeting - sort of preaching to the choir.

I was wondering what others thought. And perhaps this - we need to take this into account as we consider the work for the our - our work on the universal acceptance part and the suggestions or recommendations to ICANN what to do.

So I wonder if anyone has had a chance to take a look at it and what your thoughts are and, you know, what you think might be lacking or what might be good in the materials.

Jonathan Shea:

Yes, Edmon, Jonathan here.

Edmon Chung:

Yes, please go ahead.

Jonathan Shea:

Yeah, I think it is very well structured and easy to read document. And I thought it may be an example of the type of information kits or guidelines that, you know, that will be produced arising from one of the recommended actions in the report.

In summary I thought it may just be an example of things that are being included in an information kit to promote the universal acceptance. Anyway I think the document, as you say, is preaching to the choir but is quite useful as a demonstration of the type of information to be promoted or communicated.

Edmon Chung:

Thank you, Jonathan. And I think the - when I said preaching to the choir I really meant is it intended for Toronto? Most of the people going to Toronto would probably already know about this. And I guess one of the suggestions - and we have talked about this quite a bit and also we've seen it from some of the comments as well.

We probably need to urge ICANN to try to take this further and proactively reach out to other parts of the Internet community.

Jonathan Shea:

Yes, Edmon, I totally agree. I find this very useful, you know, for promoting the use of IDN TLDs as well.

Edmon Chung:

Okay. Thank you, Jonathan. And I guess with that there really isn't a lot to be added to the document. I think it's well done. But I guess that gives me a segue into our own document which should summarize some of the things that we have been discussing for the last almost a year now which - to get it in a set of recommendations that could be worked on by ICANN and the community.

So with that - unless there are any suggestions or thoughts on the particular document Bart sent along I'll move to the draft final report on universal acceptance that I've sent along just an hour or so ago.

Page 10

Okay so on that particular - in the particular draft I have not - I've put in very little information so that we can I guess focus our discussion on the

recommendations that we will put out.

It's a summary basically of what we have been discussing for the last little while especially since the public comments went out and we received some of that coming in. So I'll quickly go through the four that I've summarized. And I'd like to get people's thoughts on them in general.

Did somebody want to speak up? Hello? No?

Okay so the four that I've sort of summarized the first one to - which is the only item that might have some policy impact to it is to make it a requirement for IDN TLD operators to support universal acceptance of IDN TLDs in their own system. And that includes the - wherever appropriate at least the name servers for domains and (trial) hosts and contact information if that applies to support IDN TLDs. That's the first one.

The second one is to allocate budget for advocacy beyond just producing the information and toolkits to actually go out and spread the word. The third one is to ask to specifically to develop not just information or materials, which we just saw from staff that will be in Toronto but also to have some kind of checklist or guidelines for new IDN TLDs coming in because they may not be as aware of how to handle this and, you know, going to the suffix list or preparing some information for their users and to - how to explain to their users this issue.

So - and number four is to - we talked about surveys or other types of studies and also some suggestion on some additional services perhaps ICANN can provide on this particular subject. But that would require a lot more further studies on - from staff - to be led by staff and on - to support the universal acceptance that's beyond just outreach and awareness.

So these were the four that staff - I was summarizing from our discussion. Wonder if anyone has any thought about it? Did I miss anything or is any one of them something that we don't want to be included in - don't want to include in our set of recommendations?

Jonathan Shea: Edmon, Jonathan.

Edmon Chung: Yeah.

Jonathan Shea: Would there need to be more important and direct for ICANN or related

organization to go out (unintelligible) to the Internet application software developers so as maybe to write it here just to make sure that they get first hand information of universal acceptance and we're trying to encourage or motivate them to, you know, upgrade their software to support that, yeah?

Would that be actually the most effective way of making things happen?

Edmon Chung: Yeah, absolutely. I think that's - that would be Part B which is to - because

right now - for the last 10 years ICANN has actually done some work on this.

Of course during the time it was much more passive a toolkit was created,

number of information was produced.

But I think your suggestion is exactly where - and, you know, I guess Recommendation B is exactly for that; to allocate budget and actually do it. I think we should probably not just say allocate budget but also to actually implement - instead of a passive sort of way right now which ICANN produces those materials but haven't really gone out to the, as you mentioned, Internet application developers and different fora forms to promote this - the awareness of this issue.

So we'll expand a little bit more on the detail parts. But I wonder if B is what you're saying or we should make some changes in the direction for that.

Jonathan Shea: Oh that's okay, Edmon. Yeah, it is not apparent from the brief description of

B. But I totally agree; we can easily make that, you know, part of Point B and,

yeah, that should work.

Edmon Chung: Okay. Any other parts? I wonder if Avri is still on.

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: Oh, please go ahead.

Jonathan Shea: Well Point C do we - or are we saying that ICANN will develop those

materials or will be some other groups or parties doing that?

Edmon Chung: I was suggesting ICANN to do so.

Jonathan Shea: Okay.

Edmon Chung: I guess it could be with participation from the community.

Jonathan Shea: Okay thank you.

Edmon Chung: Does that make sense to you?

Jonathan Shea: Yes, yeah, it does.

Edmon Chung: Okay. I wonder if Avri is still on and whether you might have any thoughts or

suggestions on these?

Nathalie Peregrine: Edmon, this is Nathalie. Avri dropped at half past. She had an appointment.

Page 13

Edmon Chung:

Oh okay. So others on the call, and Jian as well, I wonder if these four items seem to encapsulate what we have talked about before? Jian, if you have - if you think this - if you're speaking you're on mute. Jian, are you on the call?

Nathalie Peregrine:

e: Edmon, this is Nathalie. Yes, Jian's line is still muted. And she's back, there you go. Jian, if you speak now we should be able to hear you.

Edmon Chung:

Well, Jian, if you - we'd like to hear from you but since we are maybe having some technical difficulty here. I guess that sort of brings me to the end of the discussion actually.

I was hoping to first get a sense of, you know, how - whether these four encapsulates what we wanted to recommend. And if it looks like that is the case then I'll move on to produce a little bit more details to each of them. And I was planning for the Toronto session to spend a little bit more time on threshing them out.

So, Jian, I wonder if you could get on still or if not we'll continue to move on.

Okay in that case, Nathalie, I wonder if you have information on whether we have confirmation on when our working session is going to be in Toronto?

Nathalie Peregrine: No, I haven't got that confirmation yet. The minute it comes through I'll send an email to the list.

Edmon Chung:

Okay thank you. And so in terms of Toronto I guess the - we usually get a lot better participation in face to face meetings. We have a pretty good gathering every time. So I was hoping to spend most of the time talking about these four recommendations and threshing them out.

Before Toronto I plan to at least send out a next version of the draft that would include some details. We'll update B as discussed as well earlier. So that's - this is the main - the bulk of the discussion planned for Toronto.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-04-12/8:17 am CT

Confirmation # 2729859

Page 14

We'll also try to get Dennis from the VIP team to give us a little bit of update

on the work there. And also we'll try to invite Patrick to follow up on the single

character TLD issue as well. I know it is not in the first round of new gTLDs

obviously but I think that is still an issue that we would like to follow up on and

see if there is any movement.

The SSAC put out the document saying that a few additional work items need

to be completed before its implementation into the root. I guess we'd like - I'd

like to invite them to see if there is any - to talk about to see if any progress

has been made.

So I was hoping that those two updates will probably be relatively short and

then we can spend probably 40 minutes or so on our - on the universal

acceptance item. So that's the plan for Toronto.

Any thoughts, ideas or...

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung:

Yeah, Jonathan.

Jonathan Shea:

I say it looks good, Edmon.

Edmon Chung:

Okay thank you. With that I guess that comes to the end of the meeting. And

unless there are any other items you want to bring up. We have talked quite a

bit about these four items in the past already so I don't think we need to go

back on one at this point. We'll use that - we'll use our face to face time in

Toronto to do that.

So unless there are any other items perhaps we can close early. Jian, I

wonder if we have you on the call back?

Nathalie Peregrine: Jian's line just dropped and we're dialing out to her right now.

Edmon Chung: Okay so I guess since we're early we'll...

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: ...wait for her for a bit.

Nathalie Peregrine: I'll let you know if the operator manages to get a hold of her now. Thank

you. Jian, can you hear us properly?

Jian Zhang: Yes, I'm back. Hello? Hello?

Edmon Chung: Hello. Hi, Jian. Yes.

Jian Zhang: Hi.

Edmon Chung: Good to have you back.

Jian Zhang: Yeah, it seems that I've got some problem...

((Crosstalk))

Edmon Chung: No worries. So we were just - before we wrap up I guess we'd like to get a

sense whether you think the four recommendation encapsulates what we

wanted to recommend basically.

Jian Zhang: Yes, I actually agree. And also I actually I heard Jonathan suggestion. I think,

you know, it's a good approach.

Edmon Chung: Okay. And I don't know whether you missed the part, I think, in Toronto the -

for the plan I think we'll spend most of the time on threshing these four

recommendations out. And we'll spend a little bit of time in the beginning.

We'll invite Dennis to give an update on the VIP work and we'll also try to invite Patrick Fältström to give any - to see if there is any progress on the single character IDN TLD issue.

Jian Zhang: Okay that sounds good. Actually I did miss that part. So do we have the date

yet for the meeting in Toronto?

Edmon Chung: Nathalie says she doesn't have the - have that information yet but she'll send

along the information once that's confirmed.

Jian Zhang: Okay thanks.

Edmon Chung: Okay?

Jian Zhang: And also actually also may I ask one more question? Because the beginning

you did give a update from (unintelligible). You did mention a meeting in (RA),

you know, in ICANN office. When did that happen? Sorry I missed that.

Edmon Chung: That happened last week.

Jian Zhang: Oh okay.

Edmon Chung: I forgot whether it was Wednesday and Thursday or...

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: ...or Thursday and Friday.

Jian Zhang: So you were there had a meeting with VIP?

Edmon Chung: Yes. It was about a...

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: ...a group of about 20 people.

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: Including consultants - ICANN consultants, ICANN staff and some from the

community.

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: Daniel is on the call here - I think, Daniel, you were also there maybe you

wanted to add anything?

Daniel Kalchev: Yes, I was on the meeting but I think you described it well so far so nothing

yet at this point.

Edmon Chung: Okay thank you. So I guess with that we've come to the end of what I

prepared for the meeting. I don't hear any further items for this meeting.

Given that I guess we'll - we'll use the mailing list between now and Toronto to further prepare. And I'll see everyone in Toronto. And if you won't be in

Toronto I'll see you online on the phone call.

Jonathan Shea: Thank you, Edmon.

Jian Zhang: Okay.

Edmon Chung: Thanks. Thank you, everyone.

Jian Zhang: Thank you.

Jonathan Shea: Thank you.

Edmon Chung: Good-bye.

Jonathan Shea: Bye-bye.

Nathalie Peregrine: Bye. Thanks you very much, (Tonya), you may now stop the recordings.

Have a good day. Bye-bye.

Jonathan Shea: Bye-bye.

Edmon Chung: Thank you. Bye-bye.

END