PDPFeb-06 Task Force Teleconference TRANSCRIPTION October 18 2006, 14:00 EDT, 18:00 UTC, 20;00 CET

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the PDPFeb06 task force call on18 October 2006. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://gnso-audio.icann.org/PDPFeb06-20061018.mp3 http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct

Attendees:

Avri Doria - Nominating Committee - acting chair,

Sophia Bekele - Nominating Committee

Marilyn Cade – CBUC

Alistair Dixon – CBUC

Greg Ruth – ISPC

Jon Nevett –Networksolutions

Jeff Eckhaus – Register.com

Cary Karp - Registry C

Ken Stubbs – Registry C

Milton Mueller - NCUC

Steve Metalitz - representing IPC in place of Ute Decker

ICANN Staff:

Dan Halloran – Deputy General Counsel – absent - apologies Denise Michel – Vice President Policy Development Liz Williams - Senior Policy Counselor Glen de Saint Gery – GNSO Secretariat

Absent:

Bret Fausett – ALAC - absent – apologies Ute Decker – IPC - absent – apologies June Seo - Registry C

Coordinator: Excuse me. This is the operator. At this time, I would just like to inform all parties that today's conference is being recorded. If you have any objections, you may disconnect.

Thank you. You may begin.

- Avri Doria: Okay, thanks. That's a new one.
- ((Crosstalk))
- Liz: ...Avri, we can't hear you.
- Avri Doria: Okay. I'm talking loudly I'm talking as loudly as I can but we'll have to...

On the agenda, we have confirmation of agenda. We have updated statements of interest, a report from Repertoire Group A, a report from Repertoire Group B, a confirmation of the timeline, so we'll go through that. And let me see, what else?

We had - and then a discussion of what reporting I will do to the council for tomorrow, and then any other business.

Marilyn Cade: Avri, it's Marilyn. Could I make a proposed addition?

Avri Doria: Not yet. Not yet.

Marilyn Cade: All right.

Avri Doria: I was also going to ask for a roll call and then get into talking about are there any thing that needs to be added to the agenda.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Avri Doria: So, Glen, could you give the roll call please?

Glen De Saint Géry: l'Il give the roll call.

Sophia Bekele?

Sophia Bekele: Present.

Glen De Saint Géry: Marilyn Cade/

Marilyn Cade: Here.

Glen De Saint Géry: (Danny Younger)?

(Danny Younger): Here.

Glen De Saint Géry: Avri Doria?

Avri Doria: Yes.

Glen De Saint Géry: Jeff Eckhaus.

Jeff Eckhaus: Here.

Glen De Saint Géry: Alistair Dixon.

Alistair Dixon: Here.

Glen De Saint Géry: Cary Karp.

Cary Karp: Here.

Glen De Saint Géry:Liz Williams...

Liz Williams: Yup.

Glen de Saint Géry: ...and Glen from the staff.

And have I missed anybody?

Steve Metalitz: Glen, this is Steve Metalitz. Ute Decker asked me to sit in for she can't be here.

Glen De Saint Géry: Thank you very much, Steve.

Greg Ruth: This is Greg Ruth.

Glen De Saint Géry: Hi, Greg.

Greg Ruth: Hi.

Glen De Saint Géry: So we have Steve Metalitz from the IPC and Greg Ruth from the ISP. That gives a full constituency count.

(Milton): Glen, in here also. This is (Milton).

Glen De Saint Géry: Sorry, Milton, I left you out.

Avri Doria: Okay. So, if - on the agenda, and Marilyn, is that what you wanted to speak to?

Marilyn Cade: Yes.

I think before we talk about the confirmation of the timeline, we probably need to talk about an update from Liz on the remaining documents and materials that have been committed to support the work of both the task force and repertoire groups because it may affect the timeline?

Avri Doria: I think that's a good thing to do after the repertoire groups but before the timeline, unless it comes out in the discussions on the repertoire groups report.

So, it seems like that that could go before the timeline but after the repertoire group. Any objections doing it that way?

Okay. So stick that in there. And let's see. I expect that that will come out in the repertoire groups because the repertoire group would probably say something like, "And we need to follow anything in order to be able to complete and then we would get an update from Liz on where that was." Liz Williams: Anyone knows where (Jon) is? This is going to be...

Glen de Saint Géry: Jon, will be late.

- Avri Doria: Jon...
- ((Crosstalk))
- Liz Williams: Forty-five minutes is also late. So, Avri, that's going to have an impact on your report for (TOR 02).
- Avri Doria: Fine.
- Liz Williams: For -- sorry -- Repertoire Group B.
- Avri Doria: Alistair is reporting for that one.
- Liz Williams: Okay. Thank you.
- Alistair Dixon: To the extent Alistair is able because I am fortunately been taking notes with the additions that I wasn't...
- Liz Williams: Exactly making it up now.
- ((Crosstalk))
- Alistair Dixon: ...applicable. I will have to try. I will do my best.
- Avri Doria: I thought that that had been arranged...

- Alistair Dixon: It had been arranged but I'm afraid I I didn't get (Jon's) note unfortunately. I will do my best.
- Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you.

Any other issues on the agenda?

Okay, then. The next thing was updated statements of interest. Does anybody have an update statement of interest that they wish to make?

Okay, I guess not.

Okay, next was Group A Repertoire. And Marilyn, are you going to do that?

- Marilyn Cade: Yes, please.
- Avri Doria: Please, go ahead.

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

So Repertoire Group A has met. There are transcripts of two of the calls already available and a third transcript of the call that just took place will be available shortly through the couple of days.

Glen is posting the transcripts to the list. We are not cleaning them up because they're quite satisfactory as background materials as they are and we didn't feel - when talking to Glen, she and I did not feel it was a good use of additional resources just to do spell check. But they are there as documents that are useful to keep people apprised if they have missed one of the repertoire group meetings.

The repertoire prepared a working document which is merely as it evolved to be terms of reference with - and this is a not official document, it's a working document, so it has the terms of reference, it takes the original document that is provided. And underneath each of the terms of reference, there is a set of straw recommendations.

We've done straw recommendations for 1A, 1B. We have straw recommendations for 2B with the -- sorry -- for 2A, with the note that we do need come to also include a discussion of the staff documents comparing the picket fence to existing registry agreements.

We have draft straw recommendations for to 2B. On 5A and 5B, we were gathering some additional information including some examples from the Registrar Group -- Registry Group, excuse me -- and we have confirmed that we'll be using the definition of registry data that is in the existing contracts and the repertoire is going to draft options under that.

And the plan is that after taking into account some additional information that we'll talk about in a bit here, the repertoire will be posting probably by Thursday close of business to the repertoire group, a revised document with suggested recommendations in it. On Tuesday next week at 11 o'clock, we will meet as the repertoire group to discuss the options and do a show of support straw poll for the options that are presented. And then as I said, there are - there's some missing data reports that we do still need to take into account. And let me ask for comments from (Danny) or Greg, and then from (David) and Liz as well if they want to add anything.

Avri Doria: Anyone have any comments? Questions?

Okay, I have one question. So - and I just want to clarify.

One of them is you indicated that the picket fence document is basically a piece of gating information (that you need) before you can complete the work on 2A. I wasn't clear on whether you're actually waiting for a document or something on the registry data and current contract or you've got everything you need on that.

Marilyn Cade: The request that we made earlier that the registries provide samples. We agreed on the call a couple of days ago, Avri, you may remember that we are using the definition of registry data that is in the existing contracts but the examples I think was what Liz had gone out to the registry constituency to have a further dialogue about.

Avri Doria: Right. But I'm wondering, are you - because you had said you were using the information from the current contract. What I'm trying to clear up is, is there something you're waiting for that you gated on.

Marilyn Cade: I'm not going to wait forever for other flows of information but I'm trying to give everyone the courtesy of letting them - so, I don't know exactly that the answer is we're going to wait. We've asked for it a couple of times and Liz was going to talk to the (unintelligible) was going to do some follow up, but at some point if it's not provided, we would need to go ahead and let you deal with it at the task force level.

Avri Doria: Okay. Does that also go for the information of picket fence? So it's not gating but you want it or is that actually gating?

Marilyn Cade: Well, I don't think that this is a fair discussion to have with just me since the picket fence...

Avri Doria: Well, no, I think it's important to figure it out for each of the repertoire group and then - I mean, if your answer is you don't know or, you know, it depends on somebody else's answer, that's a fine answer. But I'm just trying to understand what data is gating (for) of the repertoire group. In purpose, what work is desired, is invited...

Marilyn Cade: Sure.

Avri Doria: ...that will not gate the work?

Marilyn Cade: Sure. Okay. Sure.

So Avri, let me remind everyone of the discussion at the council level, which actually relates to this particular document that led to the staff being a tasked to provide the document.

So, we are relying on the document as an additional very useful document that we want to take into account. In particular, although the document should apply to and be considered on all the terms of reference, this particular term of reference examined whether consistent policy limitations are appropriate and how these limitations should be determined, that document should be a source document on this discussion in particular, in relation to how these limitations should be determined.

Avri Doria: I understand that. So it's something that ought to be there but doesn't absolutely need to be...

And that is yes, we wanted - yes, it's been requested by the council but we can't...

((Crosstalk))

- Marilyn Cade: Yeah. Avri, I would basically say that if that doesn't deliver this particular resource document that it is a significant gap, but (Milton) and others who are lawyers may want to comment on that.
- Avri Doria: Yeah. I'm just basically I'm trying to determine what is a gating factor, what's an absolute requirement and what's important for getting the work done. And yes, I still don't quite understand, but anyone else wants to comment?

No other questions? Okay.

And then, I was basically going to ask Liz to comment on all of the outstanding materials asked for - to both of the repertoire groups.

But Liz, did you have anything else that you wanted to comment on in relation to Group A?

Liz Williams: No. I'll do it at the end, Avri. I'll do it once.

Avri Doria: So, if there are no questions, on to Repertoire Group C.

Alistair Dixon: Okay. Thanks, Avri.

So we have - Repertoire group B has had few meetings and I think we're making good progress. Essentially, we have worked through Terms of Reference 4 and Terms of Reference 6 but we still have some - and we have started with on Terms of Reference 3 that we still have some outstanding work, some issues that we need to work through on Terms of Reference 3 (to Price Controls 1) which we anticipated would actually require some additional work.

We are - I don't - I think at this point, I mean, there are probably the picket fence issues, but at this point, I would say that we're not at a stage where we will require, you know, where there are any particular showstoppers. I think it's just a case of getting basically - devoting sufficient time to working through some quite complex policy issues.

We are, I think, intending to meet again. I get very confused with times, but we are meeting again later this week or in the early next week.

Avri Doria: I believe you have one tomorrow.

Glen de Saint Géry: Tomorrow.

Alistair Dixon: Tomorrow. Right, thank you.

So that's basically - yeah, I think that's a sort of a broad overview. I think - I had to say that I think we have been making a pretty good

progress. I think the Terms of Reference 3, as I said price controls that will require a bit more work than the other two terms of reference items.

- Avri Doria: Okay. Are you producing also a working document basically off through this?
- Alistair Dixon: Yes, we are. Jon will be Jon is drafting a working document for the Terms of Reference 4 and 6 and I will be drafting one for Terms of Reference 3.
- Avri Doria: And hope...
- ((Crosstalk))
- Avri Doria: ...that sort of typical and construction to Marilyn's with recommendation (spec) and identification or will that also be a straw poll type of activity?
- Alistair: That would be yes, that would be the intention. We will follow we'll try and make it consistent with Marilyn's as possible. I think Marilyn provided a good team play for that document.

Avri Doria: Thanks.

Anybody else has any questions or comments on 4, I mean, on Repertoire Group B, on Agenda Item 4, but Repertoire Group B report?

Okay. In which case, I would move to Liz to comment on supporting materials and especially on the report that was indeed requested by

the GNSO Council on picket fences and its relation to consensus policy, which I believe was on the schedule for awhile back now and was not strictly speaking a gating factor for Repertoire Group A. It's certainly an important ingredient for Repertoire A as is any of the other materials that are still pending.

Liz Williams: Thanks, Avri.

Just a couple of things for everybody.

(Dan) wanted to tend to his apologies for the meeting today. He is caught up on the Board call preparations, which is going to take place later in the day today. And as everybody knows, because I've sent them, the expert materials, you have seen the responses to the registry correspondence which is a function of the public comment periods that have been run about the biz, info, org and (Asia) agreements.

I wanted to draw your particular attention to the second page of the updated expert materials, which includes a table for the treatment of the issues that relates to the terms of reference as they stand and much of that material was available for the - at the issues report stage.

I think everybody is very well aware of the - and if you turn to the updated expert materials...

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria: Excuse me, Liz. What documents are you referring to?

Marilyn Cade:	Yeah, Liz, would you show just a minute? I'm having trouble following.
Liz Williams:	Sorry.
Avri Doria:	Yeah
Liz Williams:	The updated expert materials. I'm speaking quite fast because of a bit of time that I have.
Avri Doria:	Okay. I want to
((Crosstalk))	
Avri Doria:	I was not able to find the updated one. When I went to the
((Crosstalk))	
Marilyn:	Right.
Avri Doria:	Web site
((Crosstalk))	
Marilyn:	All right.
Avri Doria:	I found the old one still, the ones dated 25th September and did not find
Marilyn Cade:	Right.

Avri Doria:	the new ones.
/ wir Dona.	

- Marilyn Cade: Right. Me too I guess.
- Liz Williams: I beg your pardon. Then I apologize.

Glen, can you just let me know when that was going to be up?

Glen De Saint Géry: Sorry. Yes, it should be up a little bit later on - in the evening because I've just been looking and I haven't had - I had no reply (unintelligible).

Liz Williams: Okay, thanks.

Guys, that's a function of the things that we have go through to make sure we have things properly posted to the ICANN Web site.

When...

((Crosstalk))

- Avri Doria: So you can't actually post them yourself?
- Liz Williams: No, absolutely not. Nobody very, very few people have posting rights to the Web site.
- Avri Doria:Really? Okay. You sent a message saying it's posted. What you mean
is you've submitted it to the poster but it will show up at some time.

Glen De Saint Géry: That's accurate because everything that we submitted to be posted has to have an approval first and then it has to go through a system for the Web masters

Liz Williams: And this is a fairly straightforward question.

((Crosstalk))

- Glen De Saint Géry:...been approved and the qualifications have been sent to the Web masters. So I would say it is now - within a short-time it will be published.
- Liz Williams: And of course, Avri, those of us who live in New York are far ahead of our colleagues in Los Angeles because we've been away for hours longer.
- Avri Doria:Right. So this is where the absence of using the distribution deviceShinkuro for all of us, instant access of something becomes significant.
- Liz Williams: It does. Indeed. And all I well, I can only say that I just draw your attention to it and follow the URL and hopefully, it will be up later this evening. Most particularly, I wanted to draw your attention to the sections that deals with Terms of Reference 2 and registry agreement and consensus policy.

I have significantly updated the expert materials, and Marilyn, I now understand your questions because you were looking at the earlier version rather than the later version. So I can deal with that later. But there are two things I want the group to look at. Number one is Table 3 which is from the issues report which shows you the standing of the existing registry agreements with respect to the terms of reference, and the consensus policy development process and applicability registry agreements based on the picket fence and then based on the issues categories that those relate to.

Because not everybody has seen it and again, I apologize, but it's very difficult to send you large documents by email because it crashes the email server.

I'm happy to take questions offline then on that case because those documents are being supplied from my side, I would anticipate that the more detailed analysis that Dan will provide in addition to the draft he has already provided will be available as soon as we can.

But I have to say...

Avri Doria: And he has to deal with that, won't he?

Liz Williams: No, I cannot give an exact date. And I'll reiterate again that we're dealing with multiple - different kinds of registry agreements with multiple picket fences with multiple issue areas that it relates to.

So Dan and I are working closely on that. But as I said, he has been drawn away by preparations for the Board meeting tonight. And as everybody will be aware because I sent a message to the group earlier in the week, the Board agenda for this evening includes discussion but no guarantee of the decisions about the biz, info, org and (Asia) agreements. Avri Doria: Nor a guarantee of postponement of concession.

Liz Williams: Sorry, Avri, just say that again. Nor what?

Avri Doria: You said it included - the Board includes no guarantee of the decision but also that's...

Liz Williams: The only thing that's listed is the discussion of the agreements, not anything else other than that.

Avri Doria: So another - when I spoke to Dan, he is still wasn't unable to give a date to when we might expect...

Liz Williams: No. And we spoke to it earlier this evening about half past five...

Liz Williams: ...so he was frantically in preparation for the Board meeting today so I wasn't able to impose on him any further to produce a quite detailed document for this group while he was preparing for the Board meeting.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Except that it's now (taking place). Okay.

Liz Williams: Yup. So as Alistair says, Avri, for his group, for Repertoire Group B, it's not a showstopper series of exercises.

And for Repertoire Group A, it's useful information to have, it's very valuable to have but it's not a showstopper to the work being completed in terms of developing the straw recommendations.

- Avri Doria: It sounds like it perhaps isn't a showstopper but it does sound like it's essential for having a fully completed section here.
- Liz Williams: Yeah.

Avri Doria: So, I mean, basically at this point, I want to bring up is that it was requested and it was freely given on when it was ready, so it's not unreasonable that I think people sort of expect it.

Liz Williams: Yeah, exactly, exactly. That's fine.

But I can't give you the exact minutes that it would be available.

- Avri Doria: Any comments or questions for Liz?
- Marilyn Cade: I have a question about some other expert materials. And Liz, I just need to open my folder here.

I'm looking at Alistair's - in the last (half port) call, Alistair asked about preferences in relation to price controls. These price controls are appropriate versus when should rely on the market.

Liz Williams: Yeah. Well, that's included in the updated version. And if you look at Page 12 of the updated version, which is clear now from Glen's explanation that this is not being posted, so I was premature in sending it to the list.

It's in Page 12 Section 8...

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

- Liz Williams: ...which relates to price controls and there's a number of other things which - there's an OECD report on structure separation. There's a whole bunch of stuff that Alistair sent me. On his bits and pieces, there's a thing on the privacy code in New Zealand with respect to the registry data section, and that is all included in the updated document.
- Marilyn Cade: And just the rest of my question. Does that have the spectrum allocation materials too?
- Liz Williams: Yeah.
- Marilyn Cade: Okay.
- Liz Williams: Anything that Alistair sent me is included.
- Marilyn Cade: Okay. I just I had one of the question, Avri, if I might?
- Avri Doria: Yes, go ahead.

Marilyn Cade: On registry data, the only thing the staff has provided has been references to privacy and I know we kind of have this discussion once before but registry data is not only WHOIS data, nor is it always personally identifiable data.

> But I just want to verify, other than what we have so far, you're not planning on giving us anything else specific to broadly traffic data, engineering information about the use of traffic data, the use - the reliance of third parties on traffic data, right? We just assume we have whatever materials that the staff is going to provide. Is that...

Liz Williams: Yes, exactly right. And that's in the updated version.

But frankly, I cannot produce materials that I don't have access to, which are the purview of registry operators. And a number of requests have gone through the registry constituency to ask for that information. And you and I covered that...

- Marilyn Cade: Oh, no, no.
- Liz Williams: ...in our call.
- Marilyn Cade: No, Liz, it's like this isn't the question about the examples from the registry, sorry.

There is data and I'll see if I can find it. There is data in Tier 1 and ISP/LAN that talks about the relationship traffic data. But I'll see if I can find something in some of the work that I'm engaged in right now. Because right now all the materials we have just are limited to...

- Liz Williams: Only registry data, not traffic data. More broadly, for example, for ISPs - in fact, the ISP constituency can offer us more information too because if it's about Internet tiering and traffic experience, that is an entirely different (catalyst issue), then registry data just to say.
- Marilyn Cade: I should be clear. No, what I'm talking about is the reliance on registry traffic data by other third party.
- Liz Williams: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.

Marilyn Cade: But that's - that I don't think is - that's not pairing or (transfer). That's not in relation to the interconnection of this.

Liz Williams: And frankly, that is not data that I have access to. So if you can add that to that section, that would be fantastic.

- Marilyn Cade: I'll see what I can find.
- Liz Williams: Yeah, thanks.

Avri, if you just want to put me in the right direction on this particular element of the terms of the reference, I'm happy to follow it up with you.

- Marilyn Cade: Okay.
- Liz Williams: Thank you. Thank you, Avri.
- Marilyn Cade: Thanks, Avri.

Avri Doria: One of the things that was still pending after we got that sort of internal expert report on picket fences, we we're going to try and schedule a discussion on that material.

Now, assuming that in principle he's willing to do that once he's has delivered the documents, is that a correct assumption?

Liz Williams: Avri, you and I have that conversation this morning. I brought that with Dan this afternoon and I specifically asked him about the two days that you proposed. The 20th is absolutely not possible for either of us -- for my part because it's Friday late evening for me. And I have just asked Dan to come back to me overnight which is scheduled for the week of the 23rd.

So as soon as I hear back from him, I'll be able to provide the group with some better data on that.

- Avri Doria: We especially had talked about the...
- Liz Williams: The 23rd.
- Avri Doria: ... the 23rd it self. So that is before the conference.
- Liz Williams: Yeah, exactly.
- ((Crosstalk))
- Liz Williams: And I brought up both of those dates with him, the 20th of Friday was not possible for me...
- Avri Doria: Right. Yeah...
- Liz Williams: ...and for him. And the 23rd, I'm just waiting for him to come back to me with the schedule.
- Avri Doria: And hopefully I mean, hopefully, if there's any chance for having the report on this day by the 23rd that means this information would be available to Repertoire Group A before their next meeting.
- Liz Williams: Yeah. And I just have an extra question.

Liz Williams: I just have an extra question for Alistair.

When - Alistair, when had Jon proposed his last group's meeting?

Alistair Dixon: I believe - I think it's tomorrow my time is my recollection.

- Avri Doria: Right, right. Well, it is I believe because on the same day is the council call.
- Alistair Dixon: Yeah...

Glen de Saint Géry: We set you in the afternoon.

- Alistair Dixon: Yes.
- Liz Williams: Sorry, I have missed something then. That means if it's after the council call, it means 21:30 for Brussels time.

Glen de Saint Géry: That's correct.

- Liz Williams: Yeah, thank you, Glen. Thank you.
- Alistair Dixon: Yeah, that's right. Its 8:30 in my time so...

((Crosstalk))

Liz Williams: Was there another call scheduled for the Group B because Group B has only met twice and Group A has met three times.

- Marilyn Cade: No. When I talk to Jon about it, he assured me he was much more efficient than I was.
- Liz Williams: Well, we could believe that that.
- Avri Doria: Basically yes.
- Liz Williams: Okay. So if there was not another meeting scheduled for the week of the 23rd, then that means that there's only Repertoire Group B to meet on the 24th.
- Marilyn Cade: No, A.
- Liz Williams: I beg your pardon, A, but not B anytime...
- Avri Doria: Excuse me. I think it was also slightly less than I suspect. If they needed to do more, then they will talk about a meeting, if they didn't get things resolved. But I think that they thought they would get things some closed in one meeting.
- Liz Williams: Okay, thank you.
- Avri Doria: And then for rest of it online. But I think it was open to another meeting if it was necessary.
- Liz Williams: Thank you. Thank you.
- Avri Doria: And of course, if we have the invitational meeting. And what I propose with those Liz, for the - Dan talking about the - if he can send the material is to basically just have an informative session, not specifically

a task force meeting, but a meeting that is of A, of B, task force invited, the rest of the council invited basically to listen to Dan on this specific issue but it would be an informative general meeting and not a specific task force meeting. And that's how - supposed handling that.

- Marilyn Cade: Avri.
- Avri Doria: Yes.

Marilyn Cade: I had to step away for a minute.

On the timing on Monday, my only - and you already probably know this is that there is an existing WHOIS task force call in the morning that (Milton) and I...

- Avri Doria: Yeah.
- Marilyn Cade: Yes.

Avri Doria: Yeah. No, that was noted and that was something that we'd obviously have to - I mean miss in scheduling.

Marilyn Cade: But the other problem that I have is I've - I'm doing - I'm hosting a meeting from 3:00 to 4:30, so it's possible that if that's the time that I would have to miss the call.

Avri Doria: Okay. Well, I mean, we'll try to schedule it at a time when everyone
(can catch it). It would definitely be something that was recorded, you
know, I think that's what with all meetings here, we have to do our best
to get them in a time when there's as many people can hit as possible.

And as I say, I'm trying to get this to happen before your next meeting so that you do have the information if at all possible.

- Marilyn Cade: And are we going to work on a backup date in case the 23rd isn't available?
- Avri Doria: Yeah, it will be some time that week.
- Marilyn Cade: Okay. Thanks.
- Avri Doria: Okay, any other questions on missing materials, on materials that are still needed on for information?

So basically, there are just two items pending and it's the picket fence issue, we're waiting on a report, and then there is information about traffic data that if Marilyn can find or anyone else can find to where relevant data are, we can feed that to Liz to be included.

But other than that, we're not waiting for any other information. And so, nothing other than that would be gating us.

Marilyn Cade: I have question about the use of the information though, Avri, if I might.

- Avri Doria: Sure.
- Marilyn Cade: At present, there has been a significant contribution of information and - but there hasn't been a specific discussion at the task force level of some of the reports, et cetera, nor a discussion at the task force level yet about, for instance, it is common in many markets to have a

different treatment for a dominant provider than a non-dominant provider. That's certainly, you know, carried out in the literature we've seen so far.

It is common to have price caps in many adjacent markets. Sometimes those price caps are sort of time limited. It's common to have re-bid of different services including even Department of Defense Critical Network Services on a periodic basis. So we haven't actually discussed any of that in the literature at the task force level.

Avri Doria: Yes.

I don't know. I mean, I assume that the repertoire groups will discuss what they need to. I think that any other discussions of the material will come up in relation to revealing the recommendations.

At this point, it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of the time in people's schedules to schedule, you know, discussions and debates in those issues. I think it is important for the people that the repertoire groups will be absorbed by then and I think it all has to be brought to the task force as part of the discussion when we're going through the recommendations and deciding on what level of support we have for the particular recommendation that the repertoire groups bring forward.

I mean if there is a specific issue that one is agreeing to discuss, they should be discussing it in their repertoire groups at this point. The email list and the meetings of all the repertoire groups are open to everybody on the task force. And there have been some discussion on some of those issues I believe in the - and I know to the full extent that it would be satisfactory to everyone but there certainly have been discussions on some of those issues.

- (Milton): Yes. We this is (Milton)...
- Avri Doria: I just don't think the task force meeting for discussions now but maybe somebody else does.
- (Milton): This is (Milton). I just want to say that we have discussed some of the dominant provider issues in the non-commercial constituency and I recall discussing even some of the task force meetings. But one of the positions that we're coming around to is that this is a very big bundle of issues.

And have either these repertoire groups raise the issue of separating out some of them and deferring them into a separate PDP? Particularly, the ICANN budgetary process struck us as a - struck out like a sore thumb in the sense that so many interdependent issues are wrapped up with that. And the discussion of that has been very thin and the people who really know how it works are typically the registries and registrars who have certain vested interest.

Is it too late or perhaps a good idea to talk about slicing up certain issues that are probably not resolvable within the framework of this PDP?

Jon: If I could - this is Jon, I just joined. If could address that (Milton) because you're raising the ICANN budget issues which stems under the repertoire group that I'm working on.

> Essentially, what - I think this discussion is somewhat premature. Whey don't we see what the repertoire groups recommend and any input that you have on those issues will be incredibly helpful. But once the repertoire groups report back with some recommendations, you know, that may be the best time to look and see if there is something that should be sliced off or not.

Avri Doria: Yeah, that was pretty much going to be my recommendation on it is when we've got the reports from both repertoire groups, we can see if any of these are intractable.

> And if they're intractable at that point after they have been worked on, then yeah, that would be a reasonable recommendation.

Marilyn Cade: And Avri, it's Marilyn, if I might make a comment.

(Milton), one thing that occurred to me when you suggested that is also the question of, you know, for instance, the task force might recommend that there be a policy and might recommend the policy have certain characteristics but might recommend a second stage to elaborate in more detail.

(Milton): That makes sense, Marilyn. Something like saying we have discovered that, you know, budgetary process is inter dependent with price caps issues, it's inter dependent with consensus policies issues. In the following ways any policy dealing will then has to take into account XYZ, ABC and we recommend that the second stage be implemented to do something like that.

Marilyn Cade: Right, right, right.

You know, for instance, I would see up - on my own individual perspective suggest that one part of a policy and this should be fairly granular would be that registries that ICANN staff and registries really should not be individually negotiating circumstances.

At fund projects that are not part of the strategic plan, operational plan budgeting process because otherwise there is not oversight, but that's not a specific about what the amount of fee is, it would be more suggesting that we now have negotiations that are about funding, I don't know. But the projects that aren't, you know, previously agreed to in a bottom-up way about the community.

- (Milton): Uh-huh, uh-huh.
- Avri Doria: So this is a discussion that will probably continue to somewhat in Repertoire Group B discussions I would assume.

Okay.

Jon: Well, if you're talking -- this is Jon again -- if you're talking about the specific ICANN budgetary issues, I think the implication is more on the (TOR) related to ICANN fees more than any other?

(Milton): Right, ICANN fees.

Alistair Dixon: And Jon, our meeting is tomorrow at 3:30 is that correct -- Eastern?

Jon: Correct. Yup.

Alistair Dixon: Thank you.

Avri Doria: Okay, anything else? We're still going to be talking about resources and materials that were needed and the discussions that have to happen. Have we sort of covered all of that or anyone else has any of the comments in that area?

> Okay, then. The next thing is basically concerning the timeline. And this is the timeline that is sent out after she and I were basically reminded (five words) that we had sort of left out the public comment period.

Alistair Dixon: Interesting...

Avri Doria: So basically, we've had the repertoire groups A and B meeting scheduled for the 13th. The 17th of October, there was a Group A meeting.

> Today, we're having the task force meeting, this was the midway review which is actually relatively encouraging it seems to me that the work really is proceeding in the repertoire groups the way one would hope.

There's a Repertoire Group B meeting tomorrow and that's currently the last one scheduled for B. The 24th of October, there's a Repertoire A meeting, something that's not on the schedule and the date yet is the meeting to discuss some picket fence work when it's available.

On the 27th of October, the repertoire groups were to send in the finalized (unintelligible) collated text recommendations. And I'm not quite sure what exactly that means.

Liz Williams: It means put the two of them together. But I don't mind if it comes into two separate notes.

((Crosstalk))

- Avri Doria: ...the collation.
- Liz Williams: I don't mind if it comes into two separate notes because it's fine to me.
- Avri Doria: Okay. That's just what I was thinking that it would fit in. Now, does that 27th of October seem like a reasonable date still for both repertoire groups to be able to deliver their output. From the (unintelligible) meetings, it seems like there are no meetings after 24th leaving the Repertoire Group A three days to sort of pull together its recommendations.

So the 27th of October stands for people? Okay.

Jon: Yes. I think Jon, this is - I think that's as of right now, a reasonable timeline and we'll know more after tomorrow's meeting.

- Avri Doria: Okay. After tomorrow's meeting, one of the things that was sort of presupposed that if after tomorrow's meeting you feel you need another meeting, then you will try and schedule in this time frame?
- Jon: Yes.
- Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you.

Marilyn, does that sound like an acceptable target still?

- Marilyn Cade: Actually, I'm flying to Greece that day.
- Avri Doria: Okay. So that means you're having it on the 26th.
- Marilyn Cade: Or when you see me in Greece, I'll be in trouble?
- Avri Doria: I don't get to Greece until the 28th night.
- Marilyn Cade: Yes, yes. It's my it's Group's A attention to try to complete its work actually. You know, we should only be doing edits and updates after the 24th.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thank you.

So the 27th - basically by the 27th, both repertoire groups will get the materials and so Liz will collate them and then put them out to the task force.

How long does it take you to get those outlooks because see, we're
discussing them until November? So when would you get those out to
the group?

- Liz Williams: Sorry, Avri, I was on mute. Just ask the question again, please?
- Avri Doria: The question was that the two repertoire groups will have the materials to you by 27th October...
- ((Crosstalk))
- Liz Williams: But while they send I'd rather....

Sorry. Yes, they will.

- Avri Doria: We've got a meeting scheduled for 2 November to discuss them.
- Liz Williams: No. The meeting on the I will distribute to the group the draft report on the 2nd and no meeting is scheduled.
- Avri Doria: Okay. So the schedule here says 2 November task force meeting to discuss the recommendation.
- Marilyn Cade: Right. Right. And Liz, we have...
- Liz Williams: Is that going to work for you guys that you're in Greece...

((Crosstalk))

Liz Williams: Yeah.

Avri Doria: It would have been possible if we did it late enough but...

Marilyn Cade: If we do it late like at 8:00 pm, it will work for me and ...

Liz Williams: Yeah. Then my dear husband divorces me and I've had one of those before. So I'm happy to meet on the 2nd, but that assumes that everybody has their materials in by the 27th.

I have already started drafting the task force report which has all the meat around the bonds that I'm expecting to take - or the other way around, the bonds that I'm expecting to get to the (meet) or whatever it is for the 2nd.

If you stick to that time line, it means that we meet on the 2nd. And then if there are additions and alterations, those additions and alterations will take place during the week of 6th and on the 14th, I finalize that task force report.

Avri Doria: Right. And so, we're trying to stick to that at the moment.

Liz Williams: Yes.

Avri Doria: So, if you've got the materials on the 27th, when do you distribute the materials to the task force?

Liz Williams: On the 2nd.

Avri Doria: ...have time to read them before we...

((Crosstalk))

- Liz Williams: Well, actually, that's a bit of a problem, isn't it? Because that doesn't give everyone enough time to read it. If I get things by the 27th and produce the report and then the meeting is on the 2nd, is that that doesn't give me enough time to write it.
- Marilyn Cade: Liz, can I just ask a question because I thought you were working on everything else and that the only part you were expecting to get to the last was the recommendation section.
- Liz Williams: Yeah, that's kind of important because that determines the rest of the way in which we do the rationale and the methodology for the way which the group have reached the decisions that they have made for their draft recommendations. I...
- Marilyn Cade: But wait. This is just the repertoire, this is before the I mean, now we have to discuss the task force.
- Liz Williams: I intend to draft a task force report in time for discussion on the 2nd of November with this task force group.
- Ken Stubbs: This is Ken Stubbs. Can you put me on the queue please, Avri?
- Liz Williams: Hi, Ken. Hi, Ken.

If anyone has any better ideas, then go ahead and say them now because I'll amend my schedule remembering that I have editing between the public comment period... Marilyn Cade: Right.

- Liz Williams: ...if everything goes to plan. And that would assume that the council is willing to meet to discuss this report on the proposed date, which is the 21st of November. That's the date that I'm looking towards and that is Thanksgiving week.
- Marilyn Cade: Right, but it's early in Thanksgiving:
- Ken: Yeah, but...
- Avri Doria: Yeah.
- Liz Williams: I don't celebrate Thanksgiving so it's not here and nor there for me, but people have brought that to my attention.
- Avri Doria: I don't think that we should turn ourselves to that at the moment...
- Liz Williams: Yeah.
- Marilyn Cade: ...to kind of figure out area parts.

Ken, you wanted to be in the queue.

Ken Stubbs: Yes. I've got two concerns. Number one, Liz, you talked about drafting a task force report for -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- you're talking about drafting a task force report for review by the task force before the task force will have the opportunity to arrive at conclusions based on the recommendations that are being provided by the repertoire group. Liz Williams: That's my problem, Ken.

Ken Stubbs: I know and I'm going to tell you right now that that makes little sense at all because this is supposed to be a deliberative process. How can you deliver if you're arriving at conclusions before you've had a chance to deliberate? So...

Liz Williams: Much of the - again, this...

((Crosstalk))

Ken Stubbs: It's beginning, you know...

Liz Williams: Just to reassure you though, Ken, much of the task force report requires me to draft materials that reflects the process and show transparency and show representation and show discussion and you're exactly right though. We need - I think practically, we need to amend that two dates in the middle of that before the 21st of November and...

Avri Doria: I actually don't understand. I don't understand because these recommendations would go into this draft. This is a draft (unintelligible). So it's an early draft. It isn't the draft report. It is a draft of the draft report.

Liz Williams: Yes.

Avri Doria: And they would be liberated in place within that document. So I don't see putting basically an extra step in there where we deliberate

recommendations then put them in a draft report and then deliberate some more.

Ken Stubbs: Well, the only concern I have there is sometimes deliberations tend to take the form of re-crafting a specific line or sentence and I think from a practical standpoint, I will give you an example. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> But many of the repertoire groups that have as little as two, three, four members on this call which means that whether we like it or not, we're not getting a representative group deliberating in these repertoire groups.

So the product - the end product of the repertoire group represents a product that's been arrived at with a minimal amount of participation. And please correct me if I'm wrong, all you need to do is send me out a list of each one of the repertoire group meetings and how many people attended from its constituency. Maybe this is that essential if I believe it is.

So, all I'm saying is if we're going to arrive at conclusions or recommendations to the task force, task force needs an adequate time to deliberate. If not, then just give us all a bunch of rubber stamps because -- I'm sorry, that's how I have to do it.

Avri Doria: No, no, Ken. No.

Basically, I think that no one is trying to give up your time to deliberate though it would be good if you would participate in the repertoire group and that's up to each of the constituencies to participate. No one is trying to give you a rubber stamp. No one is trying to say you don't get to deliberate the recommendations. All I'm saying is that the recommendations can go into a draft and then we do go through it line by line of the recommendations and edit the lines and change them from the draft.

- Ken Stubbs: So, you know...
- Avri Doria: Putting it together as opposed to keeping things in multiple parts.
- Ken Stubbs: Well, you know, I beg your pardon, Avri, but I can't agree with you totally. First of all, prepare the two task forces -- '05 and '06. You'll find that at the time that the two task forces were constituted, this week for instance, we're ending up close to six meetings. There was no indication the time the task forces were constituted that we were going to be operating on this kind of s schedule. Maybe the schedule is convenient to people who are either being professionally compensated to participate and this just gets plugged into their schedule or it represents available time.

But from a practical standpoint, most of the people who participate in this process are doing it in a -- what I will call -- somewhat of a volunteer capacity and I don't think that it is a good idea to have a product that is not - does not provide them with adequate opportunity to really work it through and I mean, it's just - if that's the case...

Avri Doria: I miss your point on that.

- Ken Stubbs: ... I'm sorry. But I mean, look at the compare the timelines and compare the participation on two task forces, when you're running three, four, five meetings a week.
- Avri Doria: I understand. However, there's two points I'd like to make. First, I totally understand the volunteer aspect of this. And I'm doing everything here, volunteer, participating in the repertoire groups on both sides.

Second, we agreed pretty much a month ago, at least three weeks ago that we were going to tie in and make up for the fact that we did not put out a reasonable timeline that we had sickness problems et cetera that we were going to take the approach to try and finish in a reasonable time.

Now, we already have certain difficulties with basically asking the Board to pay attention to what we have to say and that we would work as quickly as possible to give them something. This task force basically agreed that over the next month, we also agreed within the council that this task force should work at an accelerated rate to try and pick up for the fact that we have it worked - schedules for them so that we could meet the requirement of giving information that satisfies our request for them to look into it.

So, the engagement process...

((Crosstalk))

Ken Stubbs: I just - at this point in time, I'm very concerned about the fact that I don't think this is just a specific task force represents - is much for participating processes as I've seen in some of the task forces.

> Now, I'm participating in repertoire groups and I've tried to attend as many of these calls as possible, but from a practical standpoint, I'm just pointing out the fact that taking the end product or what is defined as an end product by a limited number of people and saying, "Okay, fine now, we're going to write a report and then we're going to get it through and we'll give you four and half hours to review it," and you know, I mean if your people don't have the time, well, you know, I'm sorry, I just doesn't work that way.

If you want to reschedule the meeting you're talking about on the 2nd at 1 o'clock in the afternoon your time in Athens, I have a strong feeling that it may not work out quite as well for you as you'd like it to be. But I mean, what you're doing is scheduling meetings like this for the convenience of a limited number of people that are really, you know, in many ways professionally dedicated to this specific task and I'm just saying I just, you know, I just want to make sure that this is truly participative.

And I'm sorry, you can try to shame me into the fact that -- well, this is what we all agreed on. I have news for you. If we all agreed on it, then why -- and pardon the expression -- why in the hell aren't we all participating in it. Because I'll guarantee you that the last task force meeting I attended, the last repertoire group I attended, less than or no more than half the constituencies were even participating.

Marilyn Cade: Avri, can I get in the queue please?

Ken Stubbs: Yeah. And that's all I'm going to say about it because it's just...

(Milton): I would like to get in too. This is (Milton).

Avri Doria: Okay. Marilyn, then (Milton). Anyone else who want to be in this queue?

Okay, Marilyn?

Marilyn Cade: Let me see if I can take a problem solving approach to our time frame?

Avri, I support this thing that you've said about the challenges that we face. We've tried to structure the repertoire process in as open and inclusive fashion as possible taking into account that people are very busy.

I decided to do - to ask if I can (depend) on the transcript so that people could keep up with that. And I know that Jeff, Mike -- Jeff Eckhaus and Mike Roberts who are on the repertoire group have been the following the work and I've spoken with Mike a couple of times so I'm - although I can't say that everybody is able to participate all the time, I think everybody has the same challenges. And I pretty much think that everybody is a volunteer in the amount of work that they do for ICANN.

So on the problem solving side, the thing that I notice, I just took a quick look back at PDP '05 and I noticed that really, at a particular point in time, we peeled out -- pardon me for using that term and Liz may have to correct me on what I'm calling it -- but we peeled out the

section on recommendations and we've continued to dialogue around the section on recommendations and but we haven't reedited the history and the rest of the work that Liz had already began putting together.

And I think that Avri is sort of proposing something of a similar approach to us here that if Liz is completing a lot of the groundwork, which is documenting including the gathering of the expert information, all of that stuff which is very time consuming, we ought to be able to have a semi-modular approach to the recommendations and have sufficient time to review those and discuss them.

And Ken, to your point, I support our having a task force meeting or two if it's necessary to debate the recommendations at the task force level.

I am preparing to do it at 1 o'clock in Athens on the closing day if that's what it needs to be done. I'm sure they can close the (IGF) without me. But I think, really, everyone is trying to work in the spirit of collaboration here.

Avri Doria: (Milton) - thank you. (Milton?

(Milton): Yeah. Again, I'm not trying to slow things down or cause trouble, but I just want to report on sort of where - what happened to me in this process and it kind of reinforces what Ken was saying.

I basically had this sort of blackout, not really pay close attention to this task force for a period of about 10 days because I was in transition from Paris back to the US and there was an academic conference in

the middle. And during that 10 days is the period in which you form this repertoire group and frankly, I just got completely lost in the process - in the shuffle. I just no idea what these groups were, now they were divided and I just didn't have time to back-up and read the flurry of emails.

And Marilyn explicitly invited me to be part of one. That was nice. But I just honestly -- with all the stuff going on at the forum and so on -- I had no idea what she was talking about and I was trying to get her to attend the meeting that I was trying to put together related to the forum.

So, it's a tough situation for us all now, particularly those of us who are supposed to be doing other things. And I think that when you change your basic structure in the middle of the stream, sometimes there's a good reason, a good motive for it, but you really - have to basically ride off a month in which people catch up with what the heck you did and how they fit into that process, and it's tough. It really is. I can't totally sympathize with Ken's frustration.

Avri Doria: The reason we changed was because we were trying to make up for the time that we have lost.

(Milton): I know. I know.

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria: ...problem.

But NCUC has been and basically other system entities came to participate in this. So hopefully, they were being represented.

Anyone else who want to speak to this point?

- Alistair Dixon: Avri, can I join the queue? This is Alistair.
- Avri Doria: Please go ahead.

Alistair Dixon: Okay.

I mean I just - I can understand what Ken and (Milton) are saying. Definitely, the forming of the task force and repertoire groups for me has been rather challenging and - especially in my case. Most of the meetings are rather being in the middle of the night or very early in the morning.

So just basically, it seems (Lincoln) is my day. I think, it seems to me that there has been certainly enough opportunity for people to participate. And my - and when the task force last meet and I think from the previous meeting, there's a general agreement that it was important to expedite this process and to do as much as we could prior to the Sao Paulo meeting. And also, I would be consumed if we are now putting rights on the process and putting basically maximum possible achievement of what we're speaking to achieve in this task force in jeopardy prior to the Sao Paulo meeting.

Now, I think some of the time frames are indeed challenging but I understood that there was a feeling in the task force that said it was important to expedite this process. We do have to set in and public comment period. And so, I think we have to - if possible, to make allowances for that in order that we have - complete that product as possible by the time of Sao Paulo.

So certainly, Avri, I would support the schedule that - and the process that you're putting forward.

- Ken Stubbs: Avri, just a real quick response to Alistair and that is, I don't believe I'm really pleased with your characterization of adequate time for deliberation as being breaks in the process. I thought that those were that was more or less, to some extent, the definition of a process like this that it was supposed to be deliberative. But I guess, if we're going to use your definition, then that may very well be considered to be putting breaks on the process.
- Marilyn Cade: Ken Avri, can I make a comment?
- Avri Doria: Yeah.

And then anything else, I'd like to build a sort of last comment with - on this particular discussion before...

Marilyn Cade: Okay.

Avri Doria: And anyone else want to speak after, Marilyn, and then I'll close this and we'll go back to talking about the schedule.

Sophia Bekele: Avri, Sophia...

Avri Doria: Excuse me, Sophia. Okay, thank you.

Anyone else want to be in this queue?

Avri Doria: Okay, Marilyn?

Marilyn Cade: I'm just going to comment on everyone's commitment and applaud everyone's commitment but notice that we can't always manage externalities. And all of us in our day jobs and in our volunteer jobs are often encountering situations where we need to flexibly adapt to the schedule and maybe we need to do two calls a week -- in one week. And we've done that. That doesn't mean we're not being deliberative and I think we need to be careful not to think that because people are working excessively hard, that means, they are not being thoughtful.

So, Ken, I appreciate you're reminding us that this is suppose to be a deliberative process but I urge you to support the idea, that means, we need to deliberate more frequently during this period of time.

Avri Doria: Sophia? Thank you.

Sophia?

Sophia Bekele: Thanks, Avri.

I just want to say my two sense in this. And I think I can appreciate what Ken and (Milton) has mentioned in terms of the schedule and (Milton), particularly, I understand his voice because I was in his - the same condition as him in the last few - he'd said, 10 days, but mine may be almost a month or so. I was sort of out of touch and I never got a chance to catch up until the last, perhaps, 15 days on this. And then as I have followed up with Avri, yourself offline, you know, I'm just wondering in what capacity I could contribute and it came to a point that the whole schedule is supposed to be needed by the end of this month. And I wasn't sure if I should be, you know, if I would be distracting it or contributing to it if I joined in any late. And that's the reason I've asked Avri as well, offline, you know, if it make sense for me or as NomCom - representing NomCom or personal capacity to just join in.

So, if there's anything, you know, I could do in my capacity, I'm sure everybody has worked hard so far, I would love to join either of the group. The pricing probably is an area where I could probably quickly contribute and if I'm not a distraction into it, I just want to voice my opinion now and say - and move forward.

- Marilyn Cade: Hey, Sophia, if it's not really nice to you in Group B, you can come over to Group A.
- Jon: Yeah. It would be very nice, Sophia and we'd love to have you join the group. There's a call tomorrow at 3:30 Eastern and...

Sophia Bekele: Eastern, okay.

Jon: ...pricing will definitely be a topic of the conversation. This is Jon, sorry.

Avri, if I could just make one comment, if you don't mind?

Avri Doria: Please.

Jon: I think that - everyone is in agreement that the task force needs sufficient time to deliberate. The first step is to get the recommendations in and then if the time frame that we're discussing is insufficient at that point and we think we need more time to deliberate, then let's talk about it then But it's somewhat premature to that we need more time now until we get the recommendations.

> For all we know, everyone would just love the recommendations on site and it will be fine You know, the more realistic option is that we're building sufficient time - take sufficient time in the timeline and then extend it if necessary then at the end.

Avri Doria: Okay. Thanks. I tend to agree.

Going back to the schedule, I have a Liz and maybe I was misunderstood. What we have in the schedule is that 2 November, task force meeting to discuss that recommendation, then it says 7 November, release draft task force to task force members.

So perhaps, the 2nd of November meeting was not the draft task force, it is a draft but it was just the collated recommendations of the two groups.

Is that...

Marilyn Cade: All right.

- Avri Doria: Yeah. So, in other words, if I look at it, we had a meeting on the 2nd for the task force meeting, take the two sets of recommendations and start talking them in this group...
- Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.
- Avri Doria:start doing the deliberations.

Hopefully, from the 27th, basically, we publish on the mailing list and people could start deliberate things online. We had a meeting on the 2nd to deliberate, then on the 7th is when the draft task force is what was going to come out to the task force, we continue deliberating. And then 14th of November was when we were meeting to decide if we have a taskforce report that we already have sent.

So from the end of the repertoire groups doing their work on the 27th, until the attempt to complete it, there was a whole two weeks deliberation.

Now, it may end up not insufficient and we may have the plan for more. We can certainly tell once we're in the middle whether we need (four) deliberations, whether we can actually discuss things online and so on. But really, the two weeks look like too short a time for us to be able to get in some good deliberations...

- Marilyn Cade: It's more than two weeks, isn't it -- overall?
- Avri Doria: From the 27th to the 14th, yeah, two business weeks.
- Marilyn Cade: But I'm sorry I was misreading something.

Thank you.

So, Avri, just to reinforce it. So on the 27th is final text from the two repertoire groups but it hasn't been pasted together appropriately. But your point is it's public.

- Avri Doria: Yeah, it should be public for the task force.
- Marilyn Cade: Right.
- Avri Doria: And I mean, collating the two repertoire groups into one recommendation (41), (42), (43), you know, is not a huge task and that Liz doesn't have time for a draft, you know, of the repertoire group leaders right or someone can do that to (put) a collation and put a list out on the mailing list of here are the recommendations...
- Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.
- ((Crosstalk))
- Avri Doria: ...and we need to start discussing.
- Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.
- Avri Doria: And then we have a meeting on the 2nd to start our to have our first meeting on deliberation. We have a second meeting on the 7th where those recommendations have been folded into a draft of the report, we continue deliberating, and we see where we're at.

Marilyn Cade:	Okay. And Avri, it's Marilyn.
	We have in our face-to-face meeting, sometimes held meeting of four to five hours, if we had to, we might be able to extend one of our call meetings to three hours.
Avri Doria:	I think as we get there and we see what we have to do, we could figure out.
Marilyn Cade:	Yeah.
Avri Doria:	I mean, I have no personal objection, but I don't know how others will feel. We could find out at the time.
Marilyn Cade:	Yeah.
	So, should we - is there - I hate to ask this, but is there vehement objections (unintelligible) initiative, this task to come to agreement by the 14th of November? I want to know because I'm going to be writing up where we're at on this. And if any constituency is really adamantly against those times to finish by the 14th, I want to be able to say that so that we'll be fair to ourselves trying to do something that, you know, is impossible.
	So, is there any vehement absolute objections trying to take the 14th of November? There are two solid weeks of deliberation.
Ken Stubbs:	Avri? Avri?

Avri Doria: Yes.

Go ahead. Who's...

Ken Stubbs: Yeah, this is Ken Stubbs.

- Avri Doria: Hi, Ken.
- Ken Stubbs: I'm somewhat, I would say, taken back by your description of heeding to hear vehement objection. I'm not vehemently objecting, I just want to make absolutely certain that the concerns that were expressed by the various parties here regarding this timeline are clearly elaborated and not only the minutes, but if you're going to bring any documents forward, I would expect to see those concerns elaborated fairly and in a balanced manner in the summary of this meeting.
- Avri Doria: Well...

Ken Stubbs: That's all I'm going to say. I'm not going to...

Avri Doria: No...

((Crosstalk))

Ken Stubbs: ...drawn into this 'vehement ' But there were concerns expressed by various parties and I want to make sure that they're properly...

Avri Doria: As I said, I will do it as neutrally as I can and if I get it wrong, please tell me.

Okay. So then assuming we will come to agreement by the 14th, the schedule would have us sending this basically to the GNSO Council and proposing a call to discuss it and (unintelligible) that would take before the 20-day public comment period.

Marilyn Cade: Okay. Avri, I just had one date to check with people.

So, the council meet on the 21st and then we are anticipating -- I believe, Liz, if I'm right about this -- we're anticipating public comment period to be opened into December and I - could you just refresh us on that date?

Maybe we lost Liz.

- Avri Doria: Liz, are you on mute?
- Liz Williams: Marilyn, was that a question for me?
- Marilyn Cade: Yeah. Could you just refresh our memory again? You gave us a date of December - mid- December, I think, for when the 20-day comment period ended?

Liz Williams: Yeah. I don't have it in front of me. I'm not online at the moment. And just reminder to everybody, the 21st of November is not a hard date, it's a proposed council date and it hasn't been agreed by the council.

But if we made that date which is release of the final report, it would be a 20-day comment period starting from then. And if anyone has a comment in front of them, it takes us well beyond the end of the Sao Paulo meeting.

Marilyn Cade:	Right.
	But it puts is in a good position to have something to talk about in Sao Paulo since we're open for public comment, if we meet the dates.
Liz Williams:	That's a better position to be than having nothing.
Marilyn Cade:	Thanks.
Liz Williams:	Yes, indeed.
Avri Doria:	Okay. Anymore comments on the dates and the schedule?
Jon:	Avri, this is Jon. Could I raise a question?
Avri Doria:	Sure.
Jon:	Hello?
Avri Doria:	
	Yes, please.
Jon:	Yes, please. Oh, I know, many of us are trying to schedule our plans for Sao Paulo. So the question I have is, are we planning to meet as a group down there and if so, when?
Jon: Liz Williams:	Oh, I know, many of us are trying to schedule our plans for Sao Paulo. So the question I have is, are we planning to meet as a group down

Liz Williams:	I had plans on - if the group completes the work in time for that to have
	a public session on the work of the group, not similar to the ones we've
	had in different meetings like in Wellington (unintelligible) to progress
	the work of the group and to be involving others, including
	organizations and advisory groups.

Jon: And would that occur during the time frame of the formal meeting itself not...

((Crosstalk))

Liz Williams: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah absolutely.

Jon: There's no reason that we need to be there early before...

Liz Williams: Jon, I could not guarantee that absolutely at the moment but that would be my intention because - and I only say that because I'm fully committed on other meetings with respect to the gTLD's process and other staff commitments that I have to make that would make that quite difficult for me to do it.

Jon: Okay. Thank you.

Avri Doria: Yeah, I mean, basically, it is like the intention to the schedule a lot, essentially to be done by then. So, there had been no plans. Of course, it's quite possible that we won't be done by then.

But if we were not done by then, then we're going into a longer term, you know, issue and scheduling a one day meeting or a half day

meeting before the beginning of that meeting would probably not help us with that.

- Marilyn Cade: But I have a point of clarification to ask. The task force is actually the task force has now turned its work over to the council. If we're right it might not right...
- Avri Doria: The turn right. If I have to turn it over to the council or withdrawn our schedule...
- Marilyn Cade: Yeah.
- Avri Doria: ...one way or another...
- Marilyn Cade: Okay, okay.
- Avri Doria: ... I didn't see us having a meeting then.
- Marilyn Cade: Right now, I assume that this, like other topics would could be the subject of the public forum of the council which is what we've done in the past on when we've been opened for public comments. But maybe we could take that topic up on the list about and after the council call tomorrow?
- Avri Doria: That might...

Okay. So, basically, the schedule is pretty much at the moment standing as right there in the note I send. Okay, basically, in terms of reporting, I spoke to Bruce what he recommended is sending an email to the council describing the status. So, basically, I'm going to essentially report on the status as fairly neutrally, as I am capable of doing. So, it takes some time to try and do that neutrally and fairly. As I say, if I'd be wrong, please feel free to fire me.

And basically, if there are issues with what's been written there and it would be covered in the section on the meeting called other business and it would be an item under that.

Marilyn Cade: Uh-huh.

Avri Doria: And that's what he wanted to do as opposed to putting it on the agenda as a specific item.

So - and then this report basically intends us talk about the two repertoire groups what their sentiments are, what progress they've reported, what their goals are and then talk about the schedule and the concerns with the schedule and the issue of expert materials and their delivery.

And this is really the point that I intend to cover, pretty much what we covered in this meeting, a little shorter than the meeting...

And then another - and so, any questions on that?

Okay. Are there any other business to it?

I haven't had formal confirmation of it but I understand that real chair may not be able to continue. And I'm not sure - and so, that leaves the interim chair to sort of continuing to operate but this could be a good opportunity for the group to decide that the interim chair is unsatisfactory and to replace the interim chair with a proper chair.

So, I'd like to leave that open. The group could discuss that perhaps now, perhaps at the next meeting if there is a need to have a permanent chair for this group, I am not available for it.

I will continue as interim chair for the immediate future but if we need elect a real chair, I'm definitely not available.

- Marilyn Cade: I would propose that we continue with the interim chair for the immediate time so we advance the work and perhaps we can take this topic up when we see - when the work is going to be concluding. And if it's concluding quickly, my proposal would be to ask you to continue to chair to its conclusion. If it looks like it's going to be a much extended process, perhaps we could reopen the discussion.
- Avri Doria: That's particularly what I'm saying. If we're going to tie in weekly schedule, then I'm certainly going to stick with it until Sao Paulo, but if we go beyond that into an extended, you know, working then it's not something I can do.
- Marilyn Cade: Okay. I'm satisfied with that and that sounds great to me. So, that will just be my personal view.
- Avri Doria: Any comment?
- Alistair Dixon: That's certainly -- it's Alistair here -- that would certainly sound going to me too.

Avri Doria: Okay.

Any other business comments, issues you want to bring up?

With this, I thank you all for calling in. I encourage everyone to participate and in the remaining repertoire groups to be reading the materials, to discussing the issues to their constituencies, to get the deliberative process going as soon as possible so that no-one can bring out their rubber stamps. And I thank you all and I'll talk to you next meeting.

Woman: Thanks, Avri.

END