ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

whois-tf2-report-comments

PeaceNet Korea's Comments on Whois TF2 Preliminary Report

  • To: whois-tf2-report-comments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: PeaceNet Korea's Comments on Whois TF2 Preliminary Report
  • From: Chun Eung Hwi <chun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:47:15 +0900 (KST)

In line with NCUC's proposal to strike section 3.7.7.3 of the RAA based on
privacy and anonymity concerns, we strongly support to strike out the
following specific sentence inter alia- "A Registered Name Holder
licensing use of a Registered Name according to this provision shall
accept liability for harm caused by wrongful use of the Registered Name,
unless it promptly discloses the identity of the licensee to a party
providing the Registered Name Holder reasonable evidence of actionable
harm." Because this sentence could lead to misunderstanding or
misinterpretation due to its use of vague and too comprehensive words like
harm or wrongful use, but the fundamental purpose of whois should be
rigidly limited to its technical function.

We support the recommendation that some process should be put in place to
resolve the collision between ICANN RAA and national law. We believe this
approach would foster the international market competition into the
direction of protecting privacy rather than encouraging fraudulent
registration.

We agree that proxy service should be further explored in the direction of
ensuring more privacy protection and the anonymous free speech.

We support the tiered access proposal in principle. Registrants should
have the option to direct that some or all of their protected data be
displayed to the public "on the opt-in basis " - default option is not to
disclose the protected data.

We think all requirements for legitimate use to access protected
information should be more clearly defined and documented in RAA and
Registration Contract so that such access could not be abused. In this TF2
report, three plausible cases were mentioned as "being required by law or
contract (e.g. the provision of contact to UDRP providers during a UDRP
dispute, or to another registrar during a transfer)". Is there any other
legitimate use? If not, even for Registry or Registrar, only transfer case
would allow them to access to the specified transferring domain name's
whois information. Even in other cases if any, who and whom to be allowed
to access the information should also be clarified.

In the present RAA, the voice telephone number of administrative and
technical contact is one mandatory data element, which is different from
fax number because it could be provided where available. However, this
requirement could be very discriminatory given those societies where
communication infrastructure is very poor but internet access is available
in community center or electronic cafe.

The idea of "false whois penalty" does not recognize the intentional false
registration for the protection of privacy, the mistaken error, and being
inaccurate depending on some change of circumstances. And the
over-emphasis on "the uniform whois requirements" is ignoring national
sovereignty and jurisdiction. The notion of "Universal Registrant ID" must
be privacy invasive and so very dangerous. We strongly oppose all these
misconceptions or wrong thinking.

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82)  2-2166-2205
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   chun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx