ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[whois-sc]

[whois-sc] Update on recent discussions on WHOIS with Paul Twomey and other ICANN stakeholders

  • To: <whois-sc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [whois-sc] Update on recent discussions on WHOIS with Paul Twomey and other ICANN stakeholders
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:58:22 +1000
  • Cc: <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-whois-sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

At the end of the WHOIS workshop in Montreal, Paul Twomey stated:
From: http://www.icann.org/montreal/captioning-whois-25jun03.htm

"I am asking the chairs of the GNSO, the Governmental Advisory
Committee, I'm also asking the IAB Liaison if they will come together
with me and help plot out a program for joint meetings between their
particular ongoing groups, the GAC as a working group, there's a working
group, a steering group in the GNSO, if they'll come together and plot
out a program of joint meetings with an aim towards two things: a
prioritization of issues to be addressed or issues that need to be
further explored, and a work program for the exploring of those issues
together, with the aim that that would be done intersessionally, but we
would have another report from that joint meeting framework in
Carthage."

Subsequently two informal teleconferences have been held with
representatives from
GAC, RIRs, IETF to identify what issues raised in the WHOIS workshop are
appropriate for further analysis.  The topics discussed included status
of the IETF CRISP work
(see http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html), documenting
uses for each data element collected at the time of registration,
possibility of classifying types of registrants, and different
approaches taken by cctld operators.

I expect that the next steps forward at an ICANN staff level are
probably to collate some of the data from the work already done on WHOIS
within the DNSO/GNSO, and also data presented at the Montreal meeting to
help provide factual data to guide policy development.  The timing of
this work will probably be affected by ICANN staff resourcing.  The work
in turn may result in issues reports, and then subsequently a formal
policy development process on some aspects.

In the meantime, in my personal view, the GNSO policy development
process on WHOIS Privacy should continue as planned, with the first task
being to formulate the terms of reference for one or more narrowly
focussed task forces.  We can use any documentation that is produced
from the process above, and we can also keep the other groups (GAC,
RIRs, ALAC, ccNSO) informed on the progress of the work in the GNSO.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin