ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

tf2-survey

[tf2-survey] WHOIS survey response

  • To: <tf2-survey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tf2-survey] WHOIS survey response
  • From: "Tyler Self" <tself@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:30:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-tf2-survey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Title: Message

1. For each existing data field within the Whois, please provide feedback to the task force regarding the following:

a) Use     How do members of your constituency make use of the data?

I have been involved in two separate situations (one non-profit, one for-profit) in which corporations located in Asian countries, possibly working with US firms, obtained the primary domain name of organizations with which I was involved. The data was critical to take the necessary steps to return the domain names back to their rightful owners.

b) Necessity     Is it necessary that this information be made available to members of your constituency? If so, why?

Absolutely. I fear the rampant "theft" of domain names will lead to greater abuses on the internet, including spam and cyber squatting.

c) Concerns     Describe any concerns your constituency may have with making this information available.

2. If there are fields not presently available within Whois that would be of use to members of your constituency, please suggest what those fields may be. For each suggestion, provide feedback regarding the following:

a) Use How would members of your constituency make use of the data?

NA

b) Necessity Is it necessary that this information be made available to members of your constituency? If so, why?

NA

3. Please comment on any mechanisms that you are aware of to allow anonymous domain registrations, or to limit the amount of contact data made publicly available through Whois?

None.

Tyler Self

2004 MBA Candidate at The Harvard Business School