ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

tf2-survey

[tf2-survey] GNSO's WHOIS Task Force # 2 / Re: change of data fields WHOIS

  • To: tf2-survey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [tf2-survey] GNSO's WHOIS Task Force # 2 / Re: change of data fields WHOIS
  • From: sandra.vrolijk@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:20:33 +0100
  • Cc: sezgin.sicim@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-tf2-survey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

We would like to make a suggestion about datafields, that could be of use to us, but that are not presently available within WHOIS. Our company, Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. in the Netherlands has been using the Philips trademark since 1892 and we own several other registered trademarks. Unfortunately, we noticed that the Internet is crowded with businesses and people who do not understand the significance of trademark rights or do not have such experience. We have experienced , for example, that third parties transfer a conflicting domain name including our company's trademark several times, also just to frustrate legal actions from the trademark owner. We believe that historical information about domain name ownership and changes of ownership could be of use to us to track down misuse of our IP rights and to determine whether a third party has adopted and transferred a domain name in bad faith. We understood that a WHOIS database does not contain historical information about data fields, besides perhaps 'the creation date', and, therefore, we suggest to make such historical information about ownership available. (We refer as well to available historical information of International Trade  Mark Registration in the WIPO Trademark Database.)

Other historical Information about datafields such as renewals and modifications could be useful to manage one's domain name portfolio.

Should you need any other information, please let us know. Hope this information is sufficient.

Kind regards,

Sandra Vrolijk
Domain Name Attorney

Philips Intellectual Property & Standards
Visitor's address: Prof. Holstlaan 6, building WAH, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Phone: + 31 40 2743165 Facsimile: + 31 40 2743541
E-mail: sandra.vrolijk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com