RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Fast Flux DNS

  • To: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Fast Flux DNS
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:41:06 -0700
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Margie,

Some may be blocked before they get to my email provider, but if they
get to my provider I have it set up to allow them through but to be
filed in a special folder. At any rate, I never said the problem should
be ignored. What I said was:

"I still think that the most important effort right now is consumer
education, and the development/provision of tools they need to protect
themselves. Reducing the ability to phish should be an ongoing effort,
but given the success with that so far it seems mitigating the
effectiveness of a phish may be a better and more effective approach."

Efforts to reduce the ability to phish are not specific to gTLDs, (in
fact, I'd like to see what data there is on frequency of use of gTLDs,
ccTLDs, and IP addresses for phishes). Since ICANN cannot make
enforceable policy that applies to ccTLDs or IP addresses I don't see
the point in creating further inequity with policy that only gTLD
registry and registrars have to comply with.

Tim