RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Fast Flux DNS

  • To: <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Fast Flux DNS
  • From: "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:24:36 -0600
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom,

You raise good points regarding the lack of tools to determine whether
it is a legitimate phish and the potential liability for taking action.
These are the kinds of issues that could be addressed if registrars were
to attempt to address a phishing solution through ICANN.  Bringing
together registars and security vendors that fight phishing would
facilitate an exchange of ideas/recommendations that are more likely to
have an impact than working with legislation written by persons
unfamiliar with registrar operations.

Also, I understand that data sharing on domain phishes is already
occurring through email lists that include many registrars.  The problem
is that there are many domestic and international registrars that either
ignore the requests or delay responding to such request.  If a registrar
policy were developed through ICANN for domain phishes, we should expect
to see greater attention and response from registrars in shutting down
these fraudulent sites.

Margie