Re: [registrars] [Fwd: Re: Clarification of scope of SSAC025 recommendations]

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] [Fwd: Re: Clarification of scope of SSAC025 recommendations]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:34:04 +0100
  • Cc: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Following up, as the SSAC is now aware of Tim's point, we have our choice for the language to replace the final clause of the final sentence of Recommendations.

The current text is: (Note that the "G" in "GTLD" will be removed in the next version)

   Fast flux hosting is a serious and mounting problem that affects
   name services in all
   GTLDs. SSAC encourages ICANN, registries and registrars to consider
   the practices
   mentioned in this Advisory, to establish best practices to mitigate
   fast flux hosting, and to
   consider incorporating such practices in future accreditation
   agreements.

As I hope all of you know, I'm not a lawyer, then again, neither were the drafters of SSAC025.pdf, and the word "accreditation" was the nail that stuck out, having recently done the RAA renewal loop for USA Webhost.

In my original note to Steve Crocker and Dave Piscitello I handwaved "operational" for "accreditation", but that doesn't really get to the possible absence of any "agreement", or the possibility of the Pentagon or Burma (or any other non-gTLD operator) voluntarily adopting some "best practices" specification.

Suggestions from the professional association of sharks and lifetime plus members of Club 666 sought.

Thanks in Advance,
Eric

Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
All,

Please see the attached exchange of notes between myself and the SSAC's Chair and Fellow.

This goes to the point Margie appears unwilling to acknowledge.

In my reply to Dave Piscitello I pointed out that the operators of .MIL and .MY (the Pentagon and Burma, respectively), may not enter into an agreement with ICANN in the forseeable future, which is the point Tim notes, that the ccNSO has no authority to make consensus policy for ccTLDs.

Eric

Re: Clarification of scope of SSAC025 recommendations