RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Fast Flux DNS

>preventing the domain name from resolving altogether
>will effectively stop the phish,

Margie,

Registrars don't run the TLD zone servers.

Whether a name resolves or does not resolve is a registry function.

I cannot make you understand that, and will cease to try.  I highly
recommend the somewhat dated but quite readable "DNS and BIND" by Cricket
Liu, et al.  I am willing to bet there is a copy on the bookshelf of the
majority of members of this list.  We can have Bob run a vote, or two, or
three, to figure that out.

Explain to me this.

When someone hacks into the server at www.example.com , a legitimate
business, and establishes a directory path and page at:

 www.example.com/phisdir/phishpage.html

you mean to tell me that you want to shut down Example Inc.'s entire
website, email and ftp capabilities because someone has hacked their server
and put in one html file.

Okay fine.

Now, what is the process by which Example Inc. gets their name turned back
ON after they secure their server and wiped that directory path?

I'm sitting at the desk one fine day, and I get a phone call from "some
dude" claiming to be an investigator who tells me that a domain name needs
to be turned off because of phishing.  I turn the name off.  Ten minutes
later I get a call from "some dude" claiming to be the CEO of Example Inc.,
demanding that I turn their corporate internet presence back ON, or he's
suing my pants off.

That's fine.  The domain name Verizon.com is leaking personal data on
millions of people. It's at Markmonitor.  You know they are engaged in
illegal activity as well as I do.

Turn it off, Margie.

John