Re: [registrars] "Registered Representative" defined; RC Mailing list access to be limited.

Rob,

after playing around with the forum for a while I come up with the following idea. If we would create a user that is allowed to post all forum discussion to this mailing list we would be able to be receive the information as we are right now but could limit the the actual participation in the discussion to paid up members that have login to the forum.

Best,

tom

Rob Hall schrieb:
Thomas,

To answer your question, not exactly.

The forum software is set to email either every message or daily or
weekly digests of them to its members.  You get to choose what you want.
For myself, I have chosen to have every message emailed to me, so it
acts like the current mailing list in terms of outbound email.

The forum does not allow posting to it via email.  We were not able to
find a forum that would meet our needs that did this.  So you can't post
to the forum using email.

But every message you receive from the forum has a link in it to go
right to the spot in the forum where you can reply instantly through a
web interface.  So with a click, rather than a ctrl-R, you can be
responding.

The forum also has one other big different than this list, which I think
is very important.  The forum is for constituency members only.  This
list has non members on it, as well as people from outside our
constituency.

I believe membership should have its privileges, and one way to drive
higher membership (although it is fairly high now and we contact every
single new Registrar to try and get them to join) is to have things that
only members can access.

That is why I first proposed a members only mailing list at the San Juan
meeting, at which Dan Warner of Fabulous suggested upgrading to a forum
type list, and then he went out and volunteered to set it all up, which
is now done.  Dan did a great job getting the basic forum setup and
operational, and Godaddy is hosting it at no charge for the
constituency.  Thank you to both of them for that.  It would be fairly
easy to put a front end website at that hosting account too, in front of
the forum, for other constituency business.

Members are starting to use the forums now, and I encourage all to sign
in and participate.  Please sign up with your full first and last names
as your usernames (for example "Rob Hall")

Rob.