RE: [registrars] The Ballot on Domain Tasting has been sent to Voting Members.

  • To: Paul Goldstone <paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] The Ballot on Domain Tasting has been sent to Voting Members.
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:54:27 -0700
  • Cc: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid" webmail="1">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re: [registrars] The Ballot on Domain Tasting has been sent to<BR>Voting Members.<BR>From: Paul Goldstone &lt;paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Fri, January 11, 2008 1:09 pm<BR>To: Ross Rader &lt;ross@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc: "Robert F. Connelly" &lt;BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;, Registrars<BR>Constituency &lt;registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR><BR>Ross,<BR><BR>I have been anxious to see your follow up as I too have been really <BR>troubled over this ballot. While I want to be a part of an RC <BR>statement on this matter, at this point I am about out of time and am <BR>only comfortable with approving the ammendment - to take a vote on the <BR>RC members' position on domain tasting. I'd appreciate some feedback <BR>(from anyone) on some of my thoughts.<BR><BR>My first thought is that the ballot should start with an agreed <BR>description on !
 what we feel domain tasting to be (possibly by way of a <BR>vote). Otherwise it's left open to opinion on what uses of the AGP we <BR>are discussing and consider to be tasting.<BR><BR>Another concern is that there are a number of places throughout the <BR>ballot that claim an opinion without having taken a vote. I don't see <BR>the value of sending a statement that has not been substantiated by <BR>taking a vote, and that is already covered a lot better by some of the <BR>other groups so far anyway.<BR><BR>For example, the ballot claims that the RC is in general agreement for <BR>the "Preferred" and "Acceptable but not Preferred" recommendations. I <BR>don't completely agree with the "Acceptable but not Preferred" <BR>recommendation as stated, and don't recall a vote being held to <BR>determine if the RC was indeed in general agreement. Also, could <BR>someone please clarify what PDP stands for in the following statement? <BR>"Therefore the RC, regardless of their view, is !
 generally opposed to <BR>a PDP on this issue"<BR><BR>Another example i
s the two views at the beginning of the motion that <BR>start with "Many registrars believe that...". Again, without taking a <BR>vote, I think it would be more accurate to say "Some registrars <BR>believe that..." I'm not trying to split hairs here but how many <BR>registrars constitute "many"? IOW, what percentage of total <BR>registrars have stated that they agree with either view? Perhaps this <BR>is just my opinion but I feel that when people read that, it could <BR>come across that it's an even (or close to even) split between <BR>registrars that agree with domain tasting those that do not. Is that the case?<BR><BR>Personally I think we should jump ahead to the amendment and take a <BR>vote. If the majority disagrees with domain tasting then we submit it <BR>along with a statement, and if the majority agrees with domain tasting <BR>then we pretend we didn't vote. Of course I'm joking. I do think we <BR>should have taken a vote first though.<BR><BR>I also think it's imp!
 ortant to keep reminding people by including a <BR>comment that the overwhelming majority of domain tasting is done by a <BR>select few companies.<BR><BR>Regarding view #2, I am fine that there are opposing opinions, but <BR>from a personal level I don't understand why "many registrars" believe <BR>that domain tasting is due to market demand. So far as I understand <BR>it, a small number of companies use domain tasting to register <BR>millions of domains, add PPC pages, and keep the ones that make money. <BR>I'd be interested to hear from the many registrars with view #2 as to <BR>how that relates to market demand.<BR><BR>I also don't understand the second statement of view #2 that states <BR>that ICANN should not be regulating market activity. "Market <BR>activity" doesn't seem an appropriate description if it's just a few <BR>companies. IMO "most" domain tasting nowadays is the use of a <BR>loophole, and bottom line is that if everyone tasted domains for PPC <BR>monetizat!
 ion, and/or tasted domains by default as a method of layaway <BR>shopp
ing with no fees and no limits, there'd be no domains for the <BR>registrants that actually want to eat, at the expense of everyone but <BR>the tasters. Who if not ICANN should fix the loophole? If the answer <BR>to that question is Verisign that I've heard in the past, then why <BR>isn't that clarified in view #2? Is it that registrars with view #2 <BR>don't want "anyone" to regulate this, or that they just don't want the <BR>GNSO and ICANN to regulate it?<BR><BR>Finally, as you all know, layaway tasting by use of the AGP is a hot <BR>topic right now. Although I disagree with the way the 'pioneer' in <BR>this service has handled it, I do feel that it has some merit, so long as...<BR><BR>a) the customers actively choose to put the domain on layaway.<BR>b) the registrar (and in turn the registrant) is charged a small fee <BR>for the transaction.<BR><BR>So, for my two cents, I think that a possible solution is to provide <BR>AGP at no charge for a percentage of total registrat!
 ions for any given <BR>registrar (for testing, fraud and errors), and anything above that <BR>should be charged a reduced fee. What registrars do with AGP after <BR>that is up to each of them, but at least then it'd be a legitimate and <BR>paid service rather than a free for all.<BR><BR>I understand that it's very late to be making these comments, but I've <BR>really been struggling with this ballot and I'll try to voice my <BR>opinions sooner in future.<BR><BR>~Paul<BR>:DomainIt<BR><BR><BR><BR>At 01:47 PM 1/4/2008, Ross Rader wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;Happy new year Bob! (and everyone else).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;To be honest, I find the whole ballot very confusing. While I agree <BR>&gt;with some aspects of what is stated, I find other elements of the <BR>&gt;motion very troubling. I don't believe that I can vote in favor of the <BR>&gt;motion without somehow endorsing elements of the statement that I <BR>&gt;fundamentally disagree with.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;As such, I will be voting against !
 this motion. Time permitting, I will <BR>&gt;send something along to t
he list outlining exactly what our position <BR>&gt;and preferences on this subject are.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;On 4-Jan-08, at 11:56 AM, Robert F. Connelly wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Dear Registrars: The ballot on the motion has been sent to the <BR>&gt;&gt;Voting Members List. If you are other than the voting member of a <BR>&gt;&gt;dues paying registrar, you may want to be sure that your voting <BR>&gt;&gt;member received the ballot.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;The ballot will remain open until midnight GMT, 11 January 2008. A <BR>&gt;&gt;second and third ballot will be sent between now and the closing of <BR>&gt;&gt;the ballot. Voting members may vote several times but any secondary <BR>&gt;&gt;ballots overwrite the prior ballots. The final results will be open <BR>&gt;&gt;for all to see.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;For your convenience, the Main Motion and the Unfriendly Amendment <BR>&gt;&gt;are posted at the following URL:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; <A href="http://icannregistrars.org/Talk!
 :ICANN_Registrars" target=_blank mce_href="http://icannregistrars.org/Talk:ICANN_Registrars";>http://icannregistrars.org/Talk:ICANN_Registrars</A><BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;I call your attention to the following "preamble" to the Main Motion:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;The Motion: Move that the Registrar Constituency approve the <BR>&gt;&gt;following statement as Registrar Constituency Statement on Domain <BR>&gt;&gt;Tasting: The Registrars Constituency (RC) has not reached <BR>&gt;&gt;Supermajority support for a particular position on Domain Name <BR>&gt;&gt;Tasting. Below are statements of the views/positions espoused by RC <BR>&gt;&gt;members.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;end quote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Searching our By-Laws and Rules of Procedure, I do not find a <BR>&gt;&gt;definition for "Supermajority" nor any reference to a <BR>&gt;&gt;"Supermajority". It *is* clear that any amendment to the By-Laws <BR>&gt;&gt;requires a 66% majority. However, the ICANN By-Laws make multiple <!
 BR>&gt;&gt;references to Supermajority.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Article
 16, Additional Definitions states "'Supermajority Vote' <BR>&gt;&gt;means a vote of more than sixty-six (66) percent of the members <BR>&gt;&gt;present at a meeting of the applicable body".<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Those who drafted the Registrar Constituency By-Laws and Rules of <BR>&gt;&gt;Procedure were opposed to our earlier use of "straw ballots". They <BR>&gt;&gt;insisted that no one promulgate *any* position to our Constituency <BR>&gt;&gt;that was not supported by a vote taken when a quorum of voting <BR>&gt;&gt;members was present. I believe that, until our last two meetings, <BR>&gt;&gt;we have not ever had a quorum of voting members present at a <BR>&gt;&gt;meeting, neither "live" nor by teleconference. Thus, we have relied <BR>&gt;&gt;upon the written ballot. Our Rules of Procedure give us clear <BR>&gt;&gt;instructions on how we are to ballot on motions. This present <BR>&gt;&gt;ballot complies with those instructions.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;So, when voting on th!
 e motion and the unfriendly amendment, keep in <BR>&gt;&gt;mind that positions of the Registrar Constituency *do_not* require a <BR>&gt;&gt;66% majority and that, until now, we have not taken *any* vote on <BR>&gt;&gt;whether domain tasting is "good, bad or indifferent". Till now, it <BR>&gt;&gt;has been all talk, no vote.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;The Main Motion does not actually define the position of the <BR>&gt;&gt;Constituency. It *is* a clear and carefully drafted statement of <BR>&gt;&gt;two opposing "Views" of "many registrars". If the majority of <BR>&gt;&gt;ballots cast for the *Amendment* are favourable, there will be a <BR>&gt;&gt;second ballot which will seek determine whether the Constituency <BR>&gt;&gt;supports one or the other View described by the Main Motion.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Respectfully submitted,<BR>&gt;&gt;Bob Connelly<BR>&gt;&gt;Secretary<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Ross Rader<BR>&gt;Director, Retail Services<BR>&gt;t. 416.538.5492<BR>&gt;c. 416.828.8783<BR>&!
 gt;<A href="http://www.domaindirect.com"; target=_blank mce_href="http:
//www.domaindirect.com">http://www.domaindirect.com</A><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."<BR>&gt;- Erik Nupponen<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></body></html>