[registrars] Anti-Phishing Working Group Document

  • To: "Registrar Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Anti-Phishing Working Group Document
  • From: "Laura Mather" <laura.mather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:35:53 -0700
  • Cc: <dmitri_alperovitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rmac" <rmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Registrars-

The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) is developing a document that
attempts to address the concerns of registrars with respect to phishing.
A draft of the document is attached.  I would like to emphasize that the
document is NOT in final form and we are hoping to get feedback from you
all as to how it would be most valuable to you and any comments on the
format, content, etc.  We understand that different registrars have
different amounts of resources to combat phishing and our hope is that
the document will highlight key techniques while suggesting more
advanced methodologies for the registrars that have more resources.

Dmitri Alperovitch and Ryan MacFarlane are the main coordinators of the
document for the APWG.  I have cc'd them.  Both Dmitri and Ryan will be
in LA and are available to discuss the document with you if you are
interested.  We have been working with Jon to try to coordinate some
time for Dmitri and Ryan to speak with you all, but it appears that your
schedules are very busy.  :-)  If we are able to reserve a room for a
discussion that does not conflict with your meetings, we will let you
know.  Also, feel free to contact Ryan and Dmitri if you would like to
set up individual time with them.

If you have comments or questions about the document, don't hesitate to
send them to Dmitri, Ryan, or myself.  We look forward to working with
you all to develop a comprehensive, useful document.

-Laura

Co-chair, Anti-Phishing Working Group Domain Name System sub-committee

Laura Mather, Ph.D.

Senior Scientist, MarkMonitor

303 Second Street, Suite 800 North

San Francisco, CA 94107