Re: [registrars] WHOIS access tiers

  • To: Chris Ambler <chris.ambler@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] WHOIS access tiers
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:53:12 -0400
  • Cc: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know about the rest of you, but we don't put a lot of time into the maintenance of systems to properly parse whois. in fact, I can't remember the last time this came up as an issue over here. Certainly not recently enough, or in high enough volume to ditch our port 43 infrastructure and adopt something new.

Chris Ambler wrote:
Because we, and I presume many other registrars, put a lot of time into
the maintenance of systems to properly parse WHOIS information from each
and every different kind of system out there, when gathering the data
for transfers.

If, on the other hand, we all agreed to speak IRIS (dreg, for example),
gathering contact information for transfers would be much easier and
reduce maintenance costs every time a registrar changes their output
format.

Christopher