RE: [registrars] Registrar Statement friendly amendment

At 08:11 AM 4/18/06, Rob Hall wrote:
I also point out that a vote would have to occur on the amendment prior
to the vote on the motion, if the amendment is not accepted as friendly.
It would be improper for us to hold both votes at the same time.

Dear Rob: I was surprised by these rules. However, they *do* specify that we vote on the main motion (as edited to accommodate friendly amendments) simultaneous with the vote on any unfriendly amendments. After some study, I believe the procedures make sense for our Constituency.

Normally, Robert's Rules would dictate that we debate and vote on all amendments *prior_to* voting on the main motion. However, such a procedure could make it impossible for us to respond to matters requiring prompt attention.

10)     The ballot will allow for a vote on each of:
        a) the original motion; and
        b) any unfriendly amendments (as deemed by the sponsor).

The full Rules of Procedure in .rtf format are attached.

Cordially, BobC