RE: [registrars] Domain Tasting and Spying

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Domain Tasting and Spying
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:27:43 -0500
  • Cc: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps VRSN is rethinking its position on this practice...

Security "Cannot Keep Pace with Attacks on Net" (MSNBC, 031506)
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11829455/

Mr Sclavos said a legitimate practice known as domain tasting was making
the job of detecting criminal activity harder.  Domain tasting is when
companies take advantage of a five-day grace period, in which they can
get a refund for any .com domains bought, to buy thousands of web
addresses.  They test those that receive the most traffic and surrender
the rest for a refund.

In the past 18 months Verisign's registrations had risen from about
500,000 a week to 7m, he said.  Domain tasting made it harder to figure
out which .com addresses were being used for "phishing" attacks, where
users were lured through e-mails to fake bank or eBay sites and asked to
provide their personal log-in details.