Re: [registrars] [Fwd: Agenda Request]

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] [Fwd: Agenda Request]
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:43:09 -0500
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross Rader wrote:
FYI - Any comments or observations regarding your experience with the RGP and the proposal below will be helpful. Determining whether or not the prior consensus that existed around this issue still exists will be useful input for your Council members.

Thanks,

-ross

I don't believe that any adjustment with the RGP needs
to be done.

I do believe that the following paragraph from the WSJ
article  highlights an issue that we see problems with
everyday:

"> Ms. Orr says she lost her site's name, which wasn't copyrighted or
> trademarked, because she made the mistake of relying on her Web-hosting
> company to keep track of her registration. She says she didn't see
> renewal notices from GoDaddy because it had an old email address for
> her. Ms. Orr plans to use another site -- oak-lawn-il.com -- to replace
> the one she lost."

We see many cases of where names are controlled by
web hosting companies, ISP's, the "Tech Guy" etc. Either
they are the admin contact or they also list themselves as
the registrant of the site after they transfer registrar.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com