[registrars] FW: APWG Request to discuss Phishing, Botnets and Internet fraud with the Registrar Constituency

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] FW: APWG Request to discuss Phishing, Botnets and Internet fraud with the Registrar Constituency
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:53:52 -0800
  • Cc: "'Rod Rasmussen'" <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Below find details on a presentation Rod will be making to the Registrars
Constituency on Thursday at 5:00 pm -

The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) cordially invites attendees of
the Vancouver ICANN meeting, particularly the Registrar Constituency
to a panel discussion on the current headline issues of Phishing,
Phraud and Botnets.  We will be presenting valuable information on
the scale of these problems and their effects on the domain
registration system and registrars.  Additionally, we'll cover the
latest techniques used by these criminals to defraud consumers and
domain registrars, as well as best practices and new ideas for
combatting them.  The panel will include members of the APWG who are
on the front-lines of the anti-phishing fight, along with peers from
the registrar community who have successfully implemented programs to
prevent and quickly eliminate fraudulent registrations abusing their
services.  We hope to use this opportunity to give you valuable tips
that you can implement right away to be able to eliminate abuse on
your services.  We also wish to start discussions on procedures and
policies that the entire registration community can work on to make
it harder for criminals to so thoroughly abuse the Internet via the
domain name system.  This is designed to be an open discussion with
plenty of input from the assembled audience to get good ideas on the
table.  The APWG wishes to include the domain registration community
on the team dedicated to making the Internet a safer place for all to
use, keeping the momentum moving forward for its continued health and
growth.