[registrars] Vancouver IDN and DNSSEC Workshops

  • To: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [registrars] Vancouver IDN and DNSSEC Workshops
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:17:46 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

It seems every ICANN meeting is preceded by some overshadowing event, in
this case the proposed COM settlement. This is an issue that we all will
and should give attention to while in Vancouver.

I would also like to bring two Workshops to your attention that I feel
are important for registrars to participate in. The DNSSEC Workshop is
scheduled for Wednesday morning, 30 November from 9:00-11:30. The IDN
Workshop is also scheduled for Wednesday from 12:30-18:30.

Paul Diaz posted the DNSSEC agenda to this list on Friday. You'll notice
that the focus of this Workshop is somewhat different than others on
this subject have been in the past. I would encourage registrars to
attend, whether you are convinced that DNSSEC is the inevitable future,
or that it is still a solution looking for a problem.

James Woods (our rep on the President's Advisory Committee) has reported
that the agenda for the IDN Workshop will be finalized this week and he
will follow up with a post to this list. The focus of the Workshop will
be on IDN at the Top Level. As you may know, a call for papers on the
subject went out in September. The papers submitted are now posted on
ICANN's website at
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-17nov05.htm.

Implementation of Top Level IDN will have a significant impact on our
customers, and ultimately our businesses. Independent implementations
of Top Level IDN are already under way (see i-dns.net). I would
encourage registrars to review the papers and participate in this
important Workshop.

Tim