RE: [registrars] Request to extend the 24 day comment period on the proposed Verisign agreement

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Request to extend the 24 day comment period on the proposed Verisign agreement
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:09:11 -0700
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sign.<BR><BR>Tim Ruiz<BR>VP, Domain Services<BR>The Go Daddy Group,
Inc.<BR>Office: 319-294-3940<BR>Fax: 480-247-4516<BR><A
href="mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxxxx";>tim@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><BR><BR></div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid"><BR>-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject:
[registrars] Request to extend the 24 day comment period on<BR>the
proposed Verisign agreement<BR>From: "Bruce Tonkin"
&lt;Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Thu, October 27, 2005
9:32 pm<BR>To: &lt;registrars@xxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>Hello
All,<BR><BR>ICANN has opened at 24 day comment period, which I assume
starts on 24<BR>October 2005, and finishes on Friday 18 Nov
2005.<BR><BR>I note from the ICANN bylaws - Article III, Section 6,
paragraph 2:<BR><BR>"Where both practically feasible and consistent
with the relevant policy<BR>development process, an in-person public
forum shall also be held for<BR>discussion of any proposed policies as
described in Section 6(1)(b) of<BR>this Article, prior to any final
Board action."<BR><BR>(see:
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#III)<BR><BR>Now I realize we
can argue whether this is a policy issue or not, but I<BR>think the
spirit of the bylaws is that a major decision like this should<BR>allow
for an in-person meeting.<BR><BR>I also note that Verisign and ICANN
have been discussing this for about<BR>a year.<BR><BR>I think it is
reasonable that registrars and other members of the GNSO<BR>community
have the opportunity to discuss the proposed agreement in
an<BR>"in-person public Forum"., &nbsp;The most practical time to do
this would be<BR>the upcoming ICANN meeting from the 30 Nov to 4 Dec
05.<BR><BR>I therefore propose to send the following statement to the
ICANN Board.<BR>I would like registrars to sign-up to this statement as
individual<BR>registrars (not enough time to run the formal registrars
constituency<BR>voting process). &nbsp;The more people that sign-on to
this, the more weight<BR>the statement will hold.<BR><BR>Please advise
via the mailing list, or via email to me if you would like<BR>to be
added as a signatory.<BR><BR><BR>STATEMENT:<BR><BR>"We the undersigned
registrars, request that the public comment period<BR>on the proposed
agreement with Verisign be extended until Sunday 4 Dec<BR>2005 so as to
allow opportunities for in-person public discussions<BR>during the
upcoming ICANN meeting in Vancouver. &nbsp;This we believe
is<BR>consistent with the spirit of Article III, Section 6, paragraph 2
of the<BR>ICANN bylaws, which states that: <BR>"Where both practically
feasible and consistent with the relevant policy<BR>development
process, an in-person public forum shall also be held for<BR>discussion
of any proposed policies as described in Section 6(1)(b) of<BR>this
Article, prior to any final Board action."<BR><BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Bruce
Tonkin<BR>Melbourne IT </BLOCKQUOTE>