[registrars] Verisign COM Prices and Stats

  • To: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Verisign COM Prices and Stats
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:36:59 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To All Registrars,
I think any registry that wishes to raise prices or even have that option in
a contract should be forced to re-bid the contract. There is nothing
perpetual about raising prices in the next version if they said they could
do it for one price in the past, let them continue with the same price. With
a TLD monopoly they feel no pressure to lower prices. Had this been re-bid,
I guarantee they would have bid a lower price. If they feel labor or other
factors require them to raise prices then open the contract for re-bid.
Perpetual should mean just that, status quo. No more perpetual contracts
should be signed and no current ones extended that have price increases
allowed for in them.

We have 24 days left to voice opions to:
settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I just ran a quick estimate on DOT COM prices with the 7% increase. Feel
free to re-work the spreadsheet and re-post any findings. As a community it
is easier if we share on this issue. If someone can add in Fees to the sheet
that would be appreciated. The numbers are only estimates for the future,
numbers prior to Oct 2005 are extracted directly from the zone. The
Registrars have sold over 1M domains per month this year. I estimated prior
to the start of this year that the Registrars would grow another 12 Million
domains and we are right on track. In 2004, the growth was 11 Million
domains.

Jay Westerdal
Name Intelligence, Inc.
http://www.nameintelligence.com