RE: [registrars] Last day of .net public comment period

  • To: "Marcus Faure" <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Last day of .net public comment period
  • From: "Mitchell, Champ" <Cmitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:38:36 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marcus,

While your email does not expressly state it, the clear implication is
that all registrars agreed on all three points you list. As you know,
that is not true. Your second point, volume discounts, was one on which
there was strong disagreement among those present. Bhavin tried to raise
it with Vint present as a registrar concern. That was openly challenged
and disputed at that time and at all times before and since. Clearly
many of us are concerned about volume discounts, but our concerns are
far from uniform. Some are concerned that volume discounts might be
given and do not want them. Others, such as us, are concerned that
volume discounts are not given, believe that they should be given so
long as they are equally available to all and believe that without them
we will continue to carry an unfair and unequivalent portion of the cost
of administering the system.  I really do not want to start the debate
again since we will never agree. However, I could not let this potential
misimpression go by without noting it.

Since we cannot agree on a result that we would all like to see, it is
best to leave the substance of that issue for another day and another
forum, which is what we decided at Luxembourg. We wanted to focus on the
concerns upon which we could speak with a unified voice in the hopes of
getting those changes. While we have not gotten all that we would want,
given the hole we started in with ICANN having signed an agreement
before we knew of the problems in it, we have probably gotten about all
that we can hope for. All of us are troubled that there is no absolute
cap on the registry fee. However, as many have said, the most important
thing is to not let this happen when .com comes up for renewal.

Hope you are well. Best, Champ

W. G. Champion Mitchell
      Chairman & CEO

O: (703) 668-5200   |  www.networksolutions.com