Re: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al
  • From: "Marcus Faure" <faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:54:28 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bruce,

while I do not have a better approach, I do not think your suggestion will
adress the issue.
First, establishing the TLD in a second level testbed will create a huge
problem for the registry. It is already pretty difficult to draw people's
attention to the new TLDs, e.g. .museum email adresses are frequently rejected
in web forms as being invalid. Having them in a second level will even
increase the registrant and user confusion.
Second, to measure the registry success in numbers will make you negotiate
with each registry where that threshold is. E.g., .mobi might make
it to big numbers whereas .cat would not. But for the catalan community
.cat might easily be more worthful than .mobi.
Third, a certain community may choose to "sponsor" the stld, even if the
income from registrations does not cover the running costs. This will not
be a destabilizing factor for the internet.

Yours,
Marcus