RE: [registrars] Variations on the current domain name model - proposed registrar workshop for Luxembourg

  • To: "'Ross Rader'" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Variations on the current domain name model - proposed registrar workshop for Luxembourg
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:24:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, IP constituency or not, I am not thrilled that dozens of names using
our trademarks are abused this way every day.

How many times can a name be added and deleted and monetized, and then
finally deleted one last time with no cost before we should be concerned
about the practice? What volume of this activity should we consider
acceptable?

And actually, we have had customer service issues over this practice. And I
would imagine any registrar that provides backorder services has had as
well.

And in our budget discussion yesterday it appears that ICANN is not
considering this practice in calculating the failed ADD ratio when
considering forgiveness of the per-registrar variable fee. So it's possible
that registrars whose business model is centered on this practice have been,
or could be forgiven of those fees. Hopefully Kurt takes a look at that and
makes any necessary adjustments.

And these are just some of the problems that we can identify today. There
will no doubt be other *enterprising* concepts using this loophole down the
road.

We could argue all day about whether the policy and/or RRA need to be
changed in general regarding this practice. It's no surprise that there's a
split view among registrars, primarily among those who have revenue models
depending on it and those who don't.

But at the very least there are specific aspects of this practice that I
believe make it worth our time to consider tightening it up.

Tim