[registrars] .net Renewal Fees (fwd)

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] .net Renewal Fees (fwd)
  • From: Mark Jeftovic <markjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:25:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moving right along to the next can of worms. Denic sent this into
our support queue this morning. I imagine you all received one too.

The concern seems to be around how multi-year registrations under
.net will survive (or not survive) the transition to a new registry
operator for .net tld.

The two options described below: a) verisign keeps the money or
b) verisign returns the money to registrars seems to imply that
a serious fracas may ensue over these multiyear terms.

IF: Verisign returns the unused fees to registrars then I guess its
up to us to then remit those fees to the new registry operator to keep
the multi-year terms intact (are the costs to the new operator going to
be in line with present costs?)

or IF:

A) Verisign keeps the money
B) The new operator is NOT Verisign
C) The new operator decides not to "eat" the multi-year registrations

then

D) The registrants will get screwed

and

E) The registrars will be left holding the bag.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is this a serious possibility?

-mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Co-founder, easyDNS Technologies Inc.