RE: [registrars] PIR's EPP DOMAIN INFO command change announcement

  • To: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] PIR's EPP DOMAIN INFO command change announcement
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:38:26 +1000
  • Cc: <halloran@xxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>, <bbeckwith@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Jay,

> But I digress, these fields may not be technically required
> but for practical purposes are necessary.

Yes - I was just pointing out that the EPP standard is not the issue
here (it is merely one of three access methods - the others being
port-43 WHOIS, and web based WHOIS), it is about what information should
be provided to whom (ie the central question being evaluated by the
WHOIS task forces).

Registrars are a class of user.  A more useful discussion to have is
what data should registrars be able to access about domain names for
which they are not the registrar-of-record.

> Registry Status of a domain can only be found at the Registry level.

As I stated before, I agree that the status (ie whether it is active, on
lock etc) of the domain name should be available to all registrars, as
well as general Internet users.   Ie I am OK with this piece of
information being in the category of information available by anonymous
access.   Once you make this decision - then it is reasonable to request
that this information also be available to registrars via the EPP
protocol.   The combined WHOIS task force 1/2 is considering this
question as part of considering the feasibility of tiered access.

Regards,
Bruce