Re: [registrars] Possibly the FINAL WORD on the budget - how could I have missed this

At 04:09 AM 6/10/2004, Bhavin Turakhia wrote:<br><br>
Dear Bhavin:<br><br>
Did you take into consideration the 2 million cap on NSI fees?&nbsp;
Regards, BobC<br><br>
certain calculations based on data that I have accumulated. This data has
been accumulated by our research arm
Here are some calculations based on the data gathered -<br><br>
Total Number of Add transactions which take place in one week: 300,000 (approx)<br>
Total Number of Transfer transactions which take place in one week: 50,000 (very approximate right now)<br><br>
Then I opened up my monthly scorecard sent by Verisign and found out that the industry average renewal rate for com/net is 60%. This means that total number of Renewal Transactions in one year =&gt; 23,089,700 (60% of the total domains in CNOBI Zone files)<br><br>
* The above data is infact lesser than it should be because it is based only upon CNOBI. It does not include .NAME, .PRO, .MUSEUM, .AERO. Additionally these numbers have been gleaned from the zone file and therefore miss out on several domains which may temporarily be out of the zone file (especially those in the Auto renew hold period).<br><br>
* Over and above this there are some transactions which take place such as Redemption Grace transactions etc which are too tiny and have not been counted in this.<br><br>
* Also as a trend these figures are on a rise every year and therefore in year 2004-2005 the figures should be greater than this<br><br>
* Plus in the Add transactions above we have only counted number of Adds and not number of years<br><br>
If I take the above approximate figures I get the number of transactions in one year as below -<br><br>
Renews: 23,089,700<br>
Adds: 300,000 * 365/7 =&gt; 15,642,857<br>
Transfers: 50,000 * 365/7 =&gt; 2,607,142<br><br>
Therefore total number of transactions in the year =&gt; 41,339,699<br><br>
Total money made by ICANN on these =&gt; 41,339,699 * 25 cents =&gt; USD 10,334,924<br><br>
Total money made by ICANN on the annual accreditation fees =&gt; 4000 * 200 =&gt; $800,000 (this will be more as the registrars reach 250 Registrars. Also if ICANN charges per TLD as it does now this further increases)<br><br>
Total money made by ICANN therefore =&gt; USD 11,134,924 or USD 11.1 million (or more)<br><br>
Total money ICANN hopes to make from Registrars in this budget =&gt; USD 12.2 million (as per my earlier email)<br><br>
The GAP =&gt; USD 1 million<br><br>
I believe we can easily negotiate the budget USD 1 million downward. (As such they should make this extra 1 million if the number of transactions goes up, add to that there is the concept of alternative sources of revenue too, plus number of registrars will increase etc)<br><br>
This means that the transaction fees are more than sufficient to meet ICANN's budgets. ICANN therefore does not need to charge anything else such as a $19k fee at all<br><br>
I will be publishing some more detailed stats on this early next week. However we should ideally contact the Registries to get more accurate figures since mine are based on weekly extrapolations. I may be wrong in my calculations above, but I can say that only once i have some more data on my hands.<br>
Best Regards<br>
Bhavin Turakhia<br>
Founder, CEO and Chairman<br>
DirectI<br>
Direct Line: +91 (22) 5679 7600<br>
Direct Fax: +91 (22) 5679 7510<br>
Board Line (USA): +1 (415) 240 4172<br>
Board Line (India): +91 (22) 5679 7500<br>