[registrars] Base fee to be a registrar in 2008

  • To: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Base fee to be a registrar in 2008
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:51:37 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So in 2008, The BASE COST to be a Registrar will be $156,000 a year.

After WLS happens, Registrars will drop like flies. And as the base cost
rises more registrars will drop as well. ICANN's budget states that there is
expected to be 250 Registrars by 2005. However this budget will have the
opposite effect and I predict every year after WLS there will be half as
many Registrars. This is great news if you have a few million domains, but a
real bummer if you have less then 250,000 domains.

Here is the speedsheet we have been passing around using projections of half
the registrars remaining each year.

Jay Westerdal
Name Intelligence, Inc.
http://www.nameintelligence.com