RE: [registrars] Endorsement of Tom Barrett's nomination.

  • To: "'Robert F. Connelly'" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Endorsement of Tom Barrett's nomination.
  • From: "tbarrett" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:01:02 -0500
  • Cc: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I accept Ross's nomination and Bob's second for the ICANN Budget Committee.
I would be honored to represent the Registrar constituency in helping to
draft a budget for ICANN's operations.

Statement:

I am a supporter of ICANN and believe it has accomplished a lot since its
formation.  However, its mission of introducing rigorous competition in the
registry/registrar segments is not yet complete.  In order to complete its
mission, ICANN will need to secure on-going sustainable sources of funding
for its activities. All of the constituencies benefiting from ICANN should
expect to contribute, as well as non-traditional sources not directly
represented today.  I view this Budget Committee as an opportunity to help
identify a long-term financial model for ICANN.

I have been involved in the Domain industry since 1995.  Currently, I am the
owner of EnCirca, Inc., which I started two years ago.  Previously, I was a
consultant to Neulevel for the introduction of .biz, CEO for NetNames (sold
to Netbenefit) and VP at Thomson & Thomson, a trademark research company,
where I launched trademark and domain name research and registration
services.

Conflict of Interest:

 I own EnCirca, Inc.  I have not been in possession of any Registry
Proprietary or Sensitive Information during the 12 months prior to the
announcement of this election.  I am passive shareholder of NetBenefit PLC
(~1%).  EnCirca is also the recently delegated Registry manager for .pw, the
ccTLD for the Republic of Palau.  As the delegated technical contact for the
domain, we are bound to the Triangular Agreement reached between ICANN, the
Domain's Sponsor and the Government of the Republic of Palau, including
financial contributions to ICANN.  .pw will commence commercial operations
in mid-2004.

Sincerely,

Thomas Barrett
EnCirca, Inc.