RE: [registrars] What is involved in WIPO II

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] What is involved in WIPO II
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:50:14 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 08:13 AM 12/18/03 -0600, Tim Ruiz wrote:
Bob,

I, for one, oppose any attempt to expand WIPO to cover country names, their acronyms, and IGOs. Could the Govt of Turkey then come after me for using the domain TurkeyTime.com? If these become covered under WIPO there will be a tail spin of dispute activity that is going to sidetrack all of us unnecessarily for a very long time.

Tim

Dear Tim: I had similar concerns going in. I specifically asked about "COMPUSA" as an SLD.

I have been assured that is not the case. Not to worry about U.S. Thanksgiving, your turkey time is not at risk.

What surprised me was the six UN renderings of country names. I have not received answers to my queries about the ASCII renderings of country names in Chinese, Russian and Arabic.

I'll keep the RC informed.

Personal regards, BobC