RE: [registrars] Deletes task force

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Deletes task force
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:36:13 -0800
  • Cc: "Mieko Umezu" <umezu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 06:26 PM 12/1/03 +1100, Bruce Tonkin wrote:<br>
the second sentence needs to be read in the context of the first sentence
which reads:<br>
behalf of the Registered Name Holder to consent that the registration be
renewed within the time specified in a second notice or reminder shall,
in the absence of extenuating circumstances, <font color="#FF0000">result
in cancellation of the registration by the end of the auto-renew grace
period</font> (although registrars may choose to cancel the name
earlier).<br>
&nbsp;<br>
that a registry would cancel a name prior to the completion of the grace
period - otherwise it wouldn't be a grace period.</font>
Dear Bruce:&nbsp; That's how I read it, even though I truncated it in my
question.<br><br>
We would not want to have a registrY delete *after* the grace
period.&nbsp; Deletion should not be made without an explicit *deletion*
command from the registrar.&nbsp; At present, as far as I know, there is
no requirement for an explicit renewal.&nbsp; If we get paid by any
means, we take the domain off registrar-hold and permit it to
resolve.<br><br>
Prior to expiration, we accept credit card renewals and send an explicit
renewal for one or more years automatically.&nbsp; If the registrant
sends a bank transfer prior to expiration, we send the renewal command
manually.&nbsp; If they pay during the grace period for one year, we
ignore it and let the auto-renewal stand.&nbsp; If they renew for two to
nine years, we manually extend the expiration date.<br><br>
If I have properly interpreted it, the TF report would allow (or
encourage) a registry to delete *after* the grace period if they hear
nothing from us, we want to have our voices heard in opposition to such
an arbitrary act by a registrY.<br><br>
Regards, BobC, from Tokyo</body>