[registrars] Deleted domains captured and pointed to web sites of questionable content

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Deleted domains captured and pointed to web sites of questionable content
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:52:05 -0800
  • Cc: "Ben Edelman" <edelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars: The following is being re-posted for Ben Edelman. Regards, BobC

Bob,

You asked on the registrars' list about deleted domains being sent to web
sites with "questionable" content.  I've written a couple articles about
this --

  Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content:
  A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam"
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/renewals>

  Large-Scale Intentional Invalid WHOIS Data:
  A Case Study of "NicGod Productions" / "Domains For Sale"
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/invalid-whois>

Also, about domains that are typographical variations on well-known domains
-- not always deleted domains, though sometimes --

  Large-Scale Registration of Domains with Typographical Errors
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/typo-domains>

I'd post this to the registrars list -- but as I'm not a registrar, I can't!

Regards,

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School