RE: [registrars] Fourth draft of transfer form for LOSING registrars

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Fourth draft of transfer form for LOSING registrars
  • From: "Siegfried Langenbach" <svl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:21:29 +0200
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Bruce,

On 16 Oct 2003 at 11:10, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [registrars] Fourth draft of transfer form for LOSING registrars
Date sent:      	Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:10:45 +1000
From:           	"Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	<svl@xxxxxxx>
Copies to:      	<registrars@xxxxxxxx>

> Hello Siegfried,
>

> > I want to repeat something I already said in Rio:
> >
> > according to german law (and I guess some other EU-law also) I
> > have a problem to ACK a outgoing transfer without explicit answer
> > of the registrant (the law is assuming consumer protection).
> >
> > If ICANN accepts the regulation in which no answer from the
> > customer is treated as a YES, I will have to ask the german court for
> > a decision (in germany the loosing party pays all the court and
> > lawyer fees).
>
> I have never really understood this as I don't know German law.
>
> My understanding is that the policy requires a positive acknowledgement
> from the registrant before a transfer is initiated.  This is the role of
> the gaining registrar, and if a gaining registrar takes such action
> without authority it would presumably be subject to German law.

As explained in my previous mail : I will be liable, not the gaining
registrar.

Yes, in turn I can start and go to a court in US afterwards, something I
would prefer to avoid.
For your information: one of the big differences between US and
german law is that in germany the losing party pays all the fees.
In addition to pay the fee for court and laywers for the wrong transfer I
will have then to pay US-lawyers....to get what ?

siegfried

> A losing registrar has the right to rely on the gaining registrar having
> received a positive acknowledgement.

I do not think that this assumption will stand before any court.