[registrars] Re: NSI free transfers

  • To: Monte Cahn <monte@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Re: NSI free transfers
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:32:00 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Monte Cahn wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Before the big "Fire Sale" is complete, why not try to kill all the
> other registrars while it costs VeriSign nothing?  There is nothing like
> having the ability to pay yourself or decide not to pay your self.
> Since their loss of revenue for free transfers does not matter any
> longer to VeriSign, why not try to get 15% of the renewal revenue in
> years to come when everyone is stuck there.

Sure. And another way to look at it is that at least
one deal variable (for the acquiring company) has
to do with how many names are under management w/o regard
to the cost to acquire the customer.

What I'm thinking is that some of the people
who have large blocks of names with high volume registrars
might have a temporary migration to NSI and then
a transfer right back to the original registrar in
order to get a free name added on to their account.

Larry Erlich