[registrars] Qualifications for service as Alternate RC delegate to the GNSO from North America

  • To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Qualifications for service as Alternate RC delegate to the GNSO from North America
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:39:12 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Colleagues:

[Original sent on 5 October. There seems to be some uncertainty that all members received it.]

The following will provide some of the background of my involvement with gTLDs from an early time**.

PSI-Japan* was formed in 1981 to provide information on Japanese Government purchases of goods. Our services were provided to foreign businesses and governments.

On 1 April 1983, the Japanese laws were changed to permit computer message switching. Prior to that date, the Laws prohibited sending or receiving electronic mail from or to Japan.

By July of 1983, we were shipping our formatted translations to the European Union and U.S. governments by electronic mail. Later in the year, I was carrying a small portable computer and sending and receiving Email from Australia and the U.S. to our office in Japan. We were pioneer users of the technologies which developed into the commercial use of the Internet.

I attended the Internet Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC) meeting in Geneva 29 and 30 April and 1 May 1997. I signed the IAHC MoU on the proposed gTLDs in behalf of PSI-Japan. When the decision was made to abandon the lottery system for selecting registrars for the new gTLDs, PSI-Japan opted to be among the first to be qualified to become a member of CORE.

Coincident with the above acts, the Policy Advisory Body (PAB) was formed. Antony VanCouvering was elected to be the first Chair of PAB, Rick Wesson became the first Vice-Chair and I was selected the first Secretary. In November of 1997, I was elected to the Executive Committee of CORE.

Most of you know the history which followed. I have been a part of the development of the processes under which we registrars now operate. I am also close to the technical side of this business -- and I deal on a day to day basis with the needs of our non Japanese customers for gTLDs. My thinking is not limited to a single country, region or continent. I am "Globally Centric" (if there be such a thing;-) I recognize the diverse views and regulations which accompany trademark and copyright uses and abuses -- and the way that they often clash with right to privacy rules. I am also sensitive to diverse cultural norms of our various countries.

I have served on the board of numerous groups throughout my career. If elected to this post, I pledge myself to be even handed, objective and conscientious in handling issues brought to the GNSO. I would hope to be the third delegate from the RC. I am very impressed with the excellent work being done by Bruce and Tom -- I would hope to study their work carefully so that I could "apprentice" under them until a decision is made to increase our number of delegates to three.

For further details of my education and experience, you are referred to my resume at the following URL. (This resume was last revised two years ago):

	http://psi-japan.com/accjrfcbio.html

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Connelly

* PSI-Japan was originally incorporated as "Procurement Services International, K.K.".

** This morning I happened to note that our registration for PSI-USA.COM was made ten years ago next month. We then registered PSI-Japan.COM about fourteen months later.