RE: [registrars] Vrsn Wildcard Update

  • To: "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Vrsn Wildcard Update
  • From: "Donny Simonton" <donny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:18:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I doubt if they will voluntarily shut the service down based on one reason,
the amount of money they are making per day.  Let's take a guesstimation on
how much profit they are making a day with this system.

Overture did $265,332,000 in revenue last quarter which breaks down to
$2,948,133.33 per day in revenue.  It was reported that yahoo and MSN
produce 54% of that revenue, I was not able to find the exact numbers, but
MSN does produce more of the revenue per day that Yahoo.

So let's assume Yahoo does 25% and MSN 29%.  For our guesstimation we will
say that SiteFinder is doing 15% of Overtures' daily revenue which would be
$442,220 per day.  In most cases with Overture you will get 40% of the
revenue from Overture, which would be a nice $176,888 per day in profit.
But I'm sure they have a better deal.

I sure know I wouldn't shut down something with the potential of $64,564,120
per year in profit. Would you voluntarily shutdown SiteFinder?  Neither will
Verisign.  ICANN will have to tell them to shut it down or else.

A concerned domain registrar.