[registrars] Is Verisign breaking its contracts??

Dear RC,

Comparing the traffic at verisign.com and networksolutions.com for the past days gives us a very nice picture of how the SiteFinder give a large advantage to the registrar nsol.

Look at that page http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&url=verisign.com#top

It'S clear the SiteFinder of Verisign gives a huge amount of traffic to nsol....this is unacceptable.
How can we stop that ?

As an ISP I think I will recommend to patch our DNS servers to block that famous IP address but this will be a drop in the ocean. Verisign behaviour is here completely outlaw.

Jean-Michel Becar
GMO Senior Architect

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

On 9/17/2003 8:28 AM Elana Broitman noted that:

Hi Ross - I appreciate your concern about delay if this gets

> "polished," but per my earlier email, you have 2 days to accept
> "friendly" amendments.

Perfect -this completely deals with the concerns that I outlined to Jim yesterday. Thanks for the clarification.

I would like to suggest an amendment meant to be friendly in

> that it would be designed to signal our significant concerns
> with this VeriSign service and to push for ICANN to stop it,
> while at the same time not being overly broad and generic so as
> to alienate all registries (which have 25% of the Council vote).

Fair. I would clarify that this is, as Vixie rightly summarizes, an issue concerning expectations. .tv users expect wildcards in their DNS, com users don't. Its the mismatch between the current reality that's causing the problems (borked software, end-user support hassles, intellectual property concerns...etc.)

Here is the rewrite I would suggest:

"Whereas the VeriSign Registry has launched a new service that

> potentially risks the stability and security of the domain name
> system and undermines competition in the registrar and registry

sectors without any apparent prior notice or consultation,

> the Registrar Constituency strongly recommends that the GNSO Council

advocate that ICANN require the VeriSign Registry Operator to cease

> this new service and return an NXDOMAIN response for DNS records
> that do not exist and that in all > cases and forbid the VeriSign
> Registry from including wild-card entries in gTLD zones until
> such time as the Supporting Organizations provide input on security,
> stability and competition issues, and ICANN staff ensures that any
> such service would be in compliance with the VeriSign Registry
> Agreement."

The only problem that I have with this is that it misses my intent around expectations - ie - I don't expect wildcards in .biz anymore than I do in .com, but it is exepcted behavior in .museum. I hear your concerns about the 25%, but I'd like to try and work your proposed amendment slightly more in order to ensure that we don't just set the stage for wildcards popping up in another zone tomorrow.