[registrars] Official posting of ballot issues on NXDOMAIN response and wild-card entries in gTLD zones.

  • To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Official posting of ballot issues on NXDOMAIN response and wild-card entries in gTLD zones.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:02:59 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrar Members:

Let me explain this posting. To my great surprise and pleasure, the hospital released Jane to return home at about 18:00 last night:-)

I awoke this morning realizing that I had the responsibility to make this official posting. After that, I read Elana's posting. Therefore, the "official posting" is now amended according to Elana's recommendations, which were as follows:

48 HOURS FOR Constituency Secretary to publish the motion [Bob C: The rules state "...in no case later then within 48 hours of receiving the motion from the Proponent. This requirement is now satisfied, let the discussion begin, subject to the modifications enumerated by Elana, below.]

14 DAYS for discussion of the motion, during which time friendly (acceptable) or unfriendly amendments can be filed

48 HOURS for ballot to remain open for inspection

7 DAYS for the vote and keep it open for no less than 7 days

We clearly don't have time for this entire schedule.

Therefore, per the following section, "other than in exceptional circumstances which the Secretary will notify to the list beforehand," I am asking Bob as Secretary to post a ballot by tomorrow, September 18, for six days, with the result to be tallied by September 24.

[I propose that we finish the discussion by tomorrow, 18 September. I'll need Rick's support on posting the ballot tomorrow.]

Ross - this allows you 2 days to modify your motion with any amendments you deem friendly.

[end quotation from Elana:]

This is the official posting of Ross Rader's motion:

"The Registrar Constituency strongly recommends that the GNSO Council advocate that ICANN explicitly require gTLD Registry Operators to return an NXDOMAIN response for DNS records that do not exist and that in all cases, wild-card entries in gTLD zones should be strictly forbidden."

The official discussion period starts now and runs till 18 September 2003, after which the balloting period begins.

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Connelly
Secretary of Registrars Constituency.