RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:32:08 -0400
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross,

Because the ICANN Board may be required to address this issue in the future,
I will not comment publicly at this time. Listed below are some of the
questions that I have identified as relevant in my personal analysis, and
which I believe it would be in the registrar constituency's best interest to
address:

(1) Does the use of wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet, if so
how (specific examples not generalization)?
(2) Does the use of wild-cards adversely impact competition in the
marketplace, if so how?
(3) Can these stability/competition issues be addressed by best practice
standards that would still permit the use of a wild card service by a
registry operator?
(4) How is the use of wild-cards similar or different to the WLS service
previously proposed by VeriSign?
(5) What protocols does the use of wild-cards violate? Specifically, does
the use of Wild Cards violate RFC 1034, 1035, and 2182 as VeriSign is
required to comply with these RFCs in Appendix C of its Registry Agreement.
(6) If the use of wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet why did
ICANN allow the incorporation of a wild card service into the .MUSEUM
registry contract?
(7) If the use of the wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet, why
do several ccTLD operators currently utilize this feature?
(8) If the use of wild cards threaten the stability of the Internet, should
their prohibition be enforced across gTLD and ccTLD registries, if so how?

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage