RE: [registrars] RE: Registrar Approval of Variable Accreditation Fee for 2003-2004

  • To: "'Donny Simonton'" <donny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rick Wesson'" <wessorh@xxxxxx>, "'Elana Broitman'" <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] RE: Registrar Approval of Variable Accreditation Fee for 2003-2004
  • From: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:41:51 -0700
  • Cc: "'Registrars List'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is the main crux of the problem: it does not work in practice, but,
hey, it looks good.

Because even if an address was a precise and a valid address,
it is not necessarily the address of the person making the registration.

This address is a valid address:
Smith, David
25242 Riverside Drive Ext
Seaford, DE 19973
Phone: 302-629-9829
(there are millions of them, just go to infospace.com, I picked this one at
random)

But did David Smith make the registration?
Or did a bad-guy just type in David's information?
The bad-guy could just as easily use a valid address anywhere on the planet.
Only good-guys would enter true information.
Then, to bad for them, but that true information would be even more valuable
to the bad-guy whois-harvesters.

The only way to know if David Smith is the guy who controls the domain is to
send David Smith a postal letter at that
address and have David confirm receipt of the letter and confirm intention
to register the name.
Even the .uk registry, a monopoly, has stopped sending paper around the
planet.
Then you'd have to do the same with the phone number (call it and have the
person who answers make the same confirmations),
but even that high-cost operation will be gamed by the bad guys because the
phone number can be
the number of a disposable cell phone, public phone near the valid but
untrue street address etc.
Sending a message to an email address, though low-cost, proves nothing about
the registrant's identity besides the fact
that the person who controls the domain also controls a nearly anonymous
free email address.

The costs are too high and the real benefit too low.
The only benefit is that we would be seen as "doing something" at the time
of registration.

We (I mean the Internet and the public) get more bang for the buck by doing
the above
(sending paper, calling phone numbers, sending email, etc) when there is a
known problem.

Paul