[registrars] OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING IN MARINA DEL REY - SEPTEMBER 12

  • To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING IN MARINA DEL REY - SEPTEMBER 12
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:35:49 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Colleagues:&nbsp; Negotiations with the hotel and the Registries
Constituency have been tedious and involved.&nbsp; The North East
blackout exacerbated the process.<br><br>
Here is the current announcement.&nbsp; There may be additional
announcements as we flesh out some of the issues in this current
posting.&nbsp; <br><br>
Please write to me directly if you or others from your firm intend to
attend the meetings.<br><br>
Respectfully submitted, <br>
BobC, <br>
Secretary, RC<br><br>
<dl>
<dd>ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING IN MARINA DEL REY - SEPTEMBER 12
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>While we would encourage everyone to attend the next official ICANN
meeting in Carthage, Tunisia on October 27-31, 2003, we have heard from
many registrars that they are unlikely to attend.&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>In order to support registrar participation and foster dynamic
discussion of issues, the Constituency has voted to hold an interim
informal meeting on Friday, September 12th.&nbsp; No decisions would be
made at this interim meeting, so anyone unable to make it should not feel
disadvantaged. Moreover, we will endeavor to set up telecommunication
links.&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>Prior to the Constituency meeting - on September 11th, (a) registrars
and registries (providers) participating in the ICANN Transfers
Assistance Group and
<dd>(b) the GNSO Council Whois group will try to schedule meetings on
those issues.&nbsp; These are not constituency meetings, but the
constituency will be updated on those issues on the 12th.&nbsp;
<dd>We would encourage people to arrive on the 11th, so we will plan a
social function as well.
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>The venue will be the Marriott in Marina del Rey.&nbsp; We are
securing special rates of $144/night <font face="arial" size=2>for
Friday, Sept.12th at:</font><font face="arial" size=2 color="#0000FF">
Beach Marriott</a></font>
<dd>4100 Admiralty Way
<dd>Marina del Rey, California 90292
<dd>Phone: +1 (310) 301-3000
<dd>Fax: +1 (310) 448-4825
<dd>Reservations: +1 (800) 228-9290&nbsp; ask for the ICANN Group Rate

<dd>Please let us know if you are attending by emailing the ExCom (cc'd
here).&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>

<dd>The meeting would be conducted in interactive workshop-style sessions
where appropriate, with guest expert speakers invited for some of the
topics. We will coordinate with the registry constituency, and hold a
joint meeting for half of the day, and a separate constituency meeting
for the other half.&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;<br>

<dd>The initial proposed agenda is below. Please send us any additional
agenda item requests by August 15th.&nbsp; <font color="#FF0000">Anyone
proposing to speak should provide a presentation with a summary of no
longer than 1 page by September 8.</font>
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>SEPTEMBER 11
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* Registrar Constituency cocktails and/or dinner,&nbsp;
TBD</font><font face="arial" size=2 color="#0000FF">&nbsp; - suggestions
welcome </font>
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>SEPTEMBER 12
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>8:30-12:30 Joint Meeting with the Registries
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd><font face="arial" size=2 color="#0000FF">Please Note that Paul
Twomey, ICANN CEO, will appear at the morning session, and other ICANN
staff liaisons will be present for much of the day.<br><br>
<dd>* EPP - update on transition to EPP by all of the registries
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing by the registries - Registry
Representative
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Issues that may be faced by registrars
- Registrar Representative
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Next Steps and Question/Debate
Session
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* Transfers - update on implementation of new policy
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Short Overview of implementation steps
by ICANN
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Presentation by representative of each
constituency to advisory group
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Next Steps and Question/Debate
Session
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* Whois - update on work of the privacy steering group
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing on GNSO Council process -
Representative of the steering group
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing by ICANN on GAC role,
initiatives and policies
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing on CRISP
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing on proposed interim solution
to Port 43&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Next Steps and Question/Debate
Session
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* New TLDs - update on ICANN process for choosing new TLDs
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Short Overview of next steps by
ICANN
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Briefing by the registries regarding
ISP compatibility
<dd>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Next Steps and Question/Debate
Session
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;12:30-2:30 Working Lunch with Registries to address specific
topics
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* WLS - update on service by VeriSign registry<br>

<dd>* IDN - update on service to be offered in com/net/org/info
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>2:30-5:30 Registrar Constituency Meeting
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>* Meeting with ICANN staff - Dan Halloran, Ellen Sondheim (as
available)<br>

<dd>* Fraudulent credit card charge backs - risk sharing with the
registries<br>

<dd>* Registrar Constituency budget - review and discussion<br>

<dd>* Registrar review of topics covered during joint meeting
<dd>&nbsp;
</dl></body>