Re: [registrars] Re: Your application

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Re: Your application
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:30:57 -0400
  • Cc: tim@xxxxxxxxxxx, registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 8/19/2003 3:56 PM Michael D. Palage noted that:

This is looking like a virus to me - second opinion anyone?

Its been going around all day - I've received 32 so far :)

Title: 'Good' worm, new bug mean double trouble

Description
-----------
Two new threats on the Internet are creating so much traffic that some networks are slowing to a crawl, security experts say.

Source: http://rss.com.com/2100-1002_3-5065644.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news

Title: W32.Sobig.F@mm Warning

Description
Chris Casciano let us know that he is getting hit hard by this virus and its 70+KB payload. He also mentions the email addresses he is seeing tossed in as the spoofed sender are very much skewed towards highly technical / web oriented addresses [zd, webmonkey, uu.net, sybase, ms, netscape, etc.] so he suspects at least one of his close contacts/peers is infected (as opposed to completely random windows users who picked up his email from looking at a website with his photos). So if you're on Windows, or come in contact with a Windows, PLEASE make sure its well patched, its virus definitions are updated & its otherwise well secure.

Info on the worm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ w32.sobig.f@xxxxxxx
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100561.htm
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100561 (Meryl)