RE: [registrars] nameservers and deleting a domain (was RE: Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12)

  • To: "'Registrars'" <Registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] nameservers and deleting a domain (was RE: Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12)
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:20:21 +0530
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Mike, the method you have presented is far more interesting. I should
probably switch to it if that works. This means I can simply use a com
domain for all registries and a .us/.biz/.info domain for .com registry.

However the problem is genuine. The way child nameservers are handled is
indeed patchwork. More importantly nameserver changes are frustrating.
If a .com namserver needs to change, the corresponding change in the
other registries is almost never done. Domain names in other registries
which use the older nameservers have to be manually modified one by one
in most cases

We definetly need to have registries proactively modify this approach
and work on the ability to delete a name without having to PATCH-CREATE
child nameservers in a substitute domain name

With respect to the 2nd issue you pointed out however, the situation is
far more tricky. If I have a child nameserver NS.MYCHILDNSDOMAIN.COM and
I use it for registering com/net/org/biz/info names, and then at a later
date I change the nameserver to "NS.SOMEOTHERDOMAIN.COM", the change
needs to be made across all registries. But as a registrar we cannot
preempt this requirement, because of the uncertaintly as to which
registries actually use this record. More importantly I am wondering if
Registries themselves can interchange this information, primarily
because I may have chosen to change the child nameserver only for .com
domains, I may wish to continue using the older nameserver for .biz
domains.

Therefore even your inter-registry protocol cannot effectively
communicate a decision to change a child nameserver record across
registries. The modification would have to be handled separately at each
registry that the child nameserver record has been registered

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, CEO and Chairman
Directi