[registrars] Advantages disadvantages of .org migrating from Verisign to PIR.

  • To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Advantages disadvantages of .org migrating from Verisign to PIR.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:51:27 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Colleagues:

I've been thinking about al the advantages accruing to Registrars as a result of the migration of .org from Verisign to PIR.

First, the disadvantages:

1. Cost to registrars remained $6.00/registration*year.
2. Second OT&E to run, additional costs.
3. Confusing Whois created by Afilias.
4. .org IDN registrations frozen, cannot be edited, cannot be cancelled, cannot be transferred -- and, of course, they don't work. 5. Current migration from RRP to EPP. Additional OT&E costs. It makes it more convenient and cost effective for Afilias -- but is costly to registrars.
6. Loss of customer/registrar relationship with EPP configuration.
7. A second registry with which to do business.

Advantages:

1. If the registrar holds shares in Afilias, they enjoy a windfall increase of share value. 2. Hmmm, I can't think of any other advantage. Perhaps other can flesh out my list, my mind is blank:-(

Regards, BobC, speaking from the standpoint of PSI-Japan, Inc.