[registrars] Advantages disadvantages of .org migrating from Verisign to PIR.
- To: Registrar Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [registrars] Advantages disadvantages of .org migrating from Verisign to PIR.
- From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:51:27 -0700
- Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been thinking about al the advantages accruing to Registrars as a
result of the migration of .org from Verisign to PIR.
First, the disadvantages:
1. Cost to registrars remained $6.00/registration*year.
2. Second OT&E to run, additional costs.
3. Confusing Whois created by Afilias.
4. .org IDN registrations frozen, cannot be edited, cannot be cancelled,
cannot be transferred -- and, of course, they don't work.
5. Current migration from RRP to EPP. Additional OT&E costs. It makes it
more convenient and cost effective for Afilias -- but is costly to registrars.
6. Loss of customer/registrar relationship with EPP configuration.
7. A second registry with which to do business.
1. If the registrar holds shares in Afilias, they enjoy a windfall increase
of share value.
2. Hmmm, I can't think of any other advantage. Perhaps other can flesh
out my list, my mind is blank:-(
Regards, BobC, speaking from the standpoint of PSI-Japan, Inc.