ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[reg-com]

[reg-com] List of criteria from brain storming session on 4 March 2004

  • To: <reg-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [reg-com] List of criteria from brain storming session on 4 March 2004
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:42:40 +1100
  • Sender: owner-reg-com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

Here is a list of criteria for approving gtld changes that was generated
during the brainstorming session of the GNSO Council committee on 4
March 2004.   I have grouped the criteria into categories for ease of
reference.  I have yet to receive feedback from the ICANN general
Counsel on which of these criteria are within scope of ICANN's mission
as defined in the ICANN bylaws.

Adherence to standards:
- Does it comply with Internet standards or de-facto standards
- Does it require open or closed standards to use
- Consistency with the end-to-end Internet protocol principle (=
de-facto nature)
- Does it require users to use a closed standard  software

Security and stability
- Does it disrupt the Internet
- Does it affect other protocols
- Does it cause cost at the edge
- Could it be offered closer to the edge of the Internet
- Are the effects to the users at large acceptable
- Do overall benefits to the community outweigh any negative impact
- Predictability, do we understand how it will affect applications and
users, and how it affects stability
- Reliability
- Is the change reversible, what is the cost of reversing

Impact on third parties
- Consequences of third party reaction
- Does it affect rights of stakeholders - e.g privacy, competition
rights
- Does it affect all users without choice
- Does it change expectations of users
- Does it only affect the registrant of the stld versus users of the
stld
- Could it harm legitimate interests (e.g intellectual property)
- What is the cost of failure to third parties (impacted stakeholders)
- Does it cause legal conflicts (e.g with local laws relating to
disclosure of personal information)

Degree of community support
- Whether the service has been approved by sponsors community

Market forces
- Can the market measure whether good/bad idea, is there choice
- Does size matter (market power) - competition analysis

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin