ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[ispcp]

[ispcp] Proposed WSIS Workshop Planning Group Draft Resolution

  • To: <ispcp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ispcp] Proposed WSIS Workshop Planning Group Draft Resolution
  • From: "Mark McFadden" <mcfadden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:20:24 -0600
  • Sender: owner-ispcp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WSIS Workshop Planning Group Draft Resolution			12-5-04
Version 1.0

Whereas:
1.	ICANN is a bottom up, consensus based, participatory global
organization, responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of the
Internet. In particular, ICANN is responsible for ensuring the stable and
secure operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems, such as the
domain names, IP Addresses, protocol and parameters, the Internet root
server system and those policies that are related to the unique identifiers.
2.	At ICANN's creation, the community recognized the importance of a
unique forum to address these issues, and has supported the continuing
evolution of ICANN as the unique forum for coordinating the unique
identifiers of the Internet and related policy.

3.	As the Internet evolves, so does the need for the participation of
an ever growing and diverse set of stakeholders, with a particular emphasis
on the participation of stakeholders from developing countries.

4.	With this expanding participation,  ICANN will continue to evolve
and mature in its role in coordinating the Internet's unique identifiers,
and in increasing awareness and understanding of its role in advancing the
Internet..

Recognizing :
5.	Internet Governance has emerged as an important issue in many fora,
most especially through the WSIS process.

6.	That no single entity or organization possesses the expertise nor
broad participation to undertake addressing all aspects of Internet
Governance in isolation.

7.	ICANN provides the opportunity for participation by diverse
stakeholders associated with, and interested in, its activities and mission
related to coordination of the unique identifiers of the Internet.

8.	That many of ICANN stakeholders who are involved in ICANN's work are
also involved in the broader set of initiatives and organizations already
engaged in discussing or addressing Internet Governance.

RESOLVED THAT

9.	We endorse the ICANN model of a private public partnership--
involving the broadest set of stakeholders: civil society, non governmental
organizations, commercial and individual users, suppliers, and governments--
responsible for coordinating the unique identifiers of the Internet and
related policies. We support the continuing internationalization of ICANN.

10.	We call on those who seek change in the present stakeholder driven
model for coordination of the technical management of the Internet's unique
identifiers to fully participate in ICANN's process and activities, and work
with ICANN's stakeholders to address their concerns within the ICANN
process.

11.	We call on the ICANN Board, all ICANN stakeholders and staff to
participate in the Working Group on Internet Governance and in the World
Summit on the Information Society to advance broad support for the public
private, stakeholder-driven model for coordination of the Internet's unique
identifiers.

12.	We urge the ICANN board, ICANN stakeholders and staff to support the
growing awareness and understanding of what ICANN does, while recognizing
the need for collaboration, cooperation, coordination, and coexistence with
other organizations and entities who are engaged in the larger issues and
activities related to Internet Governance.

13.	We support the collaboration and cooperation within the ICANN
community of regional Internet registries, ccTLD managers, non-commercial
and business organizations,  individual Internet users , the broad technical
community,  root server operators and governments and support activities
that increase understanding of ICANN's work and focus as the forum for
coordinating the unique identifiers of the Internet and related policy..

14.	We support improved communications and collaboration within all
members of the ICANN community for increasing understanding and
participation in ICANN, in particular from developing countries.