Re: [ga] Astroturfing the new gTLDs comment forum

At 23:01 22/08/2007, Danny Younger wrote:
It looks like the Keep the Core Neutral Campaign has
started to astroturf the new gTLDs comment forum.

The Campaign had a nicely written petition at
http://www.keep-the-core-neutral.org/petition that has
already been signed by a number of parties.  That
should have been sufficient.

Do we really need to wallpaper a forum just to get a
point across to the ICANN board?

Danny,
the problem is the lack of clarity regarding the nature of ICANN. Today ICANN is made of the members of a selected BoD who either claim they represent themselves (together with their appointed non controled Australian inculturated Staff) or they strive to appreciate if there is a non-defined style consensus on a case per case basis.

In the case they represent themsleves it is important that in the archives there is the record of a larger number of disagreeing parties. In the case they claim there is a consensus of any sort there is a need to show that a significant part of the informed parties opposed that claim.

It is also important that the e-mail origin is recorded. To show the reality of the opposition. And also the openness of the process. The worst thing after ICANN meddling in mission creep issues, is that people start building another internet, as I do.

The only reason why I think I am legitimate is that I try to build it atop the existing, one what can only confort the good things and probably ruin the bad ones - except if ICANN wants to carry layer violations, entering areas I provide other technical ways to enter.

This is not a trivial issue because the current state of the world is that users build their own "metacoms" network. Actually, everyone does it for centuries, but before computers and the Internet, we never realised it because we used human agents (scribes, secretary, postmen, translators, etc.) where we now use computer agents we can program along our own needs and preferences. So, when I say I build another Internet, I just say that I built and develop a model of the way all this works and people behaves: this may helps catalyzing developments or blocking errors when needed. The way keep-the-core-neutral people act is the same way I had to engage into at the IETF. For similar reasons.

Unfortunately this kind of hard-keep-the-core technique is the only one left by the ICANN, IETF biased consensus model. Now, I repeat that what would be great would be a tool permitting to crawl though mail archive and to rebuild the entire threat without duplicate and good crisp formating. This would certainly help surving me or other serious people's weak to strong strategies.

Cheers.
jfc