Re: [ga] The best IPvX deal ever ?

At 17:01 22/08/2007, Danny Younger wrote:
Interesting proposition.  I would ask if the NRO has
discussed the issue or has adopted a position on this
matter?

I am not sure the NRO would agree up front, they would certainly meet difficulties in routing and table increases. But they should pay attention to it because it is a politically tempting proposition. What would be of real interest would be a political debate where we could propose a general agreement over "give every man his IP" as the best slogan and technical target.

There are two market/political problems with IPv6 (aside IETF/IAB making it work) is to make the people demanding it, and for that making them aware. A political controversy can rise the awareness. A good slogan with a few good application can make people demand it. For years they have tried to find a "killing" application in vain. The killing application I know is to pay attention to the user needs - what IETF does not do, considering they will care by themselves. To pay attention to users is very simple: it is to protect the applications they can develop from other applications numbering interferences in the user ID area.

Unfortunately this does not belong to the IETF current culture and capacities. A good political slogan can lead Govs to discuss it among themselves and with RIR and make it work.

jfc

http://sims.yahoo.com/