Re: [ga] ICANN Launches Latest Consultation on New Top-Level Domains

  • To: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Launches Latest Consultation on New Top-Level Domains
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 01:49:41 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 23:14 10/08/2007, GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[The draft final report comes in two parts. Part A and Part B.
Part A
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm
Part B
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-partb-01aug07.htm

Just started reading it. And learning:

1. in 2007 the Internet is multi-dimensional
2. some parts of the world have access to inexpensive communication technologies
3. the word is made of citizens no longer associated with countries
4. it seems that citizenship is now for sale and many have several
5. there are slightly more than 96,000,000 TLDs
6. number of people would could read scripts "beyond" (???) ASCII is growing rapidly
7. the ISOC French Chapter Chair has been victim of an UDRP and had to change his family name
etc. etc.

The clarity and transparency of this kind of report I will try to read through in the coming two weeks show that ICANN has desesperately to get real. I keep saying this for eight wasted years. Unfortunately I am afraid that this time ICANN went a madness too far. This is worrying because the document starts with the interestint claim that ICANN now coordinates the allocation and assignment of names, addresses, and protocol port and parameters - IETF/IESG is eventually out-dated .... - and that its selected BoD can still give it more responsibility.

I know now where Thomas Narten is goint to find the best source of input to document the ROAP (IETF/IAB "Routing and Addressing Problem" - the announced architectural suffocation of the Internet): just ask ICANN to take responsibility through a ByLaw update !!!

jfc